8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who said that if we put NOS or any other nitrous fuels into the engine, then you risk an explosion or atleast a small life for your engine. Is this True?

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
indeed. It's known as detonation. NOS will definately reduce the the life of your engine over time. And if it's not installed correctly, etc, you can damage your engine. The higher the shot # of the NOS, the more risk.

Detonation Explained:

Detonation is a more common problem on highly tuned cars. What happens here is a portion of the gas, usually at a corner of the combustion chamber furthest away from the spark plug, self ignites but AFTER the spark plug has fired. Detonation is a far more serious problem as it is harder to cure and potentially more damaging to the engine.

The pinking noise that is heard, is the gas ignited by self ignition, colliding with the ignited gas from the spark plug. With pre ignition, the collision of the burning gasses occurs before the piston has reached the top of the bore and so not at maximum cylinder pressure, this is why it does not create so much damage. With detonation, as it occurs after the spark plus has fired and the piston is usually at TDC e.g. maximum cylinder pressure, the effect is to make the coming together of the flaming gasses that much more powerful and so damaging.

The causes of detonation can be similar to pre ignition, e.g., too high a compression, only causing the problem of self combustion at TDC. The favourite cause of detonation however is too weak a mixture as a weak mixture burns more easily than a rich one, hence the reason for making a lot of engines over rich as a safety measure. On supercharged and turbo charged cars, the cause is often down to inlet air too high a temperature. The results of both, but more aggravated by detonation is the flame paths colliding and hammering the combustion chamber and more importantly the piston. You can readily see the damage when you strip an engine, if it is light detonation you will see pit marks in the combustion chamber and on the piston crown in the area it has occurred, this gives you some idea as to how to rectify the problem. In many cases it is totally terminal, the piston crown collapsing with a big hole in it and usually the pieces of piston destroying the valves and cylinder head.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
yes, its nitrous oxide - not NOS.. NOS is a company

no it does not damage the engine over time if used properly and TUNED. I have re-worked civic motors that have been running 50 shot of nitrous for 80,000 miles and the pistons were fine and re-usable, but the driver/owner wanted forged internals so he can do a turbo upgrade instead of nitrous.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nice post webby, I used high octane in my prelude, which is what the manuf. calls for. I noiced that on the si as well. ONLY PREMIUM. To avoid that knock on NOS you must use the highest octane you can get your hands on or boost it with jet fuel. That will help along with plugs rated for NOS. Check your local race shop.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
GeorgiaBoy said:
Nice post webby, I used high octane in my prelude, which is what the manuf. calls for. I noiced that on the si as well. ONLY PREMIUM. To avoid that knock on NOS you must use the highest octane you can get your hands on or boost it with jet fuel. That will help along with plugs rated for NOS. Check your local race shop.
not entirely true at all...

if you are only running a small shot of nitrous, stock setup will work fine. If you start getting into the 75 shot or higher, you should go one step colder on your plugs.. stock injectors still might work. Once you get into the 100 shot or higher, then you need to start upgrading your injectors to give yourself more fuel. You shouldn't really need higher octane unless your doing 150 or over.. but it depends on the vehicle's engine and its state of tune.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think there is a lot of misconceptions about nitrous. When done correctly and not crazy huge shots its relatively safe. You are really only allowing the motor to burn more fuel and more rapidly simillar but not the same as forced induction. I ran a 55 shot on my 7thgen for a long time (infact i went through about 20 10lb bottles in a summer) with no ill effects what so ever. I used a wet zex kit, colder plugs and had intake and exhaust it was the best damn thing i bought for that car.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
the only downside to nitrous: its expensive over time and you never have all the power on tap.

nitrous is good for larger turbo setups to get them spooled up quicker.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I had 55 dry shot on my Tiburon 4cyl

no problem at all. zex system is so smart u really cant' blow it up unless u put the wrong nozzles on it lol. so easy to install and it was FUN while it lasted heh

it's very very cheap alternative to quick speed but it costs over time. Bigger fuel pressure regulator=more fuel, Higher Octane=more money, nitrous=usually $4 a pound

but if u want quick fun nitrous is NO HARM!

·
Registered
143 Posts
GeorgiaBoy said:

unplugged speaks the truth.

....and where tf did you get 'boosting it with jet fuel' from? That is one of the dumbest thing I've ever heard :rotfl: . Go ahead and dump it in your tank, if you could possibly even get a hold of any in the first place, then watch what happens to your motor :D . I'll tell you this much since I make a living as an aircraft mechanic... Jet fuel is basicly kerosene with a lot of fire retardent additives for the most part in simple terms, and very much like diesel fuel. In fact jet fuel burns just fine in diesel engines. We often fill diesel driven support equipment such as generators and stuff with jet fuel in a pinch. Now since you have probably heard what putting diesel fuel in a gas engine can do, you should be able to draw your own conclusion from that. :thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts