8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

i wanna expose my driving habit to see if is ok:

1- when aproach to a light, go from any gear to neutral to coast.

2-in some case go fron neutral to a high gear 4th, 5th...

·
Registered
727 Posts
1- when aproach to a light, go from any gear to neutral to coast.
That shouldn't be a problem. I learned to do the same. Heck, when I'm going down my street I get up to 45 mph on the first little stretch, pop it in to neutral, and coast the rest of the way down the street!

2-in some case go fron neutral to a high gear 4th, 5th...
Could you give more detail on when you would do this? If you're in neutral and coasting at cruise speed, then you should put it in a gear fast enough to match your wheel speed. You definitely don't want to pop it in to first if you're coasting at 40 mph!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could you give more detail on when you would do this? If you're in neutral and coasting at cruise speed, then you should put it in a gear fast enough to match your wheel speed. You definitely don't want to pop it in to first if you're coasting at 40 mph![/QUOTE]

exactly, jejej is jut punt in a gea fast enough to match my speed.

·
Registered
727 Posts
exactly, jejej is jut punt in a gea fast enough to match my speed.
Then you're doing it right. If you pop it in neutral to coast at speed, you're definitely going to want to put it in a faster gear. Coasting at 40 mph, you're probably going to want to go into 4th gear...

EDIT::

2007 Civic Owner's Manual said:
With 6-speed manual transmission:

Shift | Normal Acceleration
------------------------------
1 to 2 | 17 mph (27 km/h)
2 to 3 | 29 mph (47 km/h)
3 to 4 | 37 mph (60 km/h)
4 to 5 | 43 mph (69 km/h)
5 to 6 | 47 mph (79 km/h)
That chart should give you an idea of which gear you should be in for a given speed.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
man I shift way earlier than that if I'm trying to save fuel. I got to second if I'm already around 6mph. 3rd if I'm around 14mph, 4th around 22, 5th around 30, 6th around 38-40. If you're coming to a stop at a light, I'd just pop it into neutral, anything else is going to just waste gas.

If you're trying to engine brake though because you're coming up to the light too fast and for some reason you don't want to slam on your brakes then you could downshift and but that seems like it might not be worth it to you and you might mess things up since you're still new to stick. I'd just stick with option one. don't upshift though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ahhhhh where is the :vtec: kick brooo... i can never try to save fuel doing this beacuse if i have some free room :dancingcoolsmiley:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was taught (and I think taught correctly) that you should never have ANY vehicle, auto or stick, in neutral while driving on a public road.

What happens when some kid or dog or some idiot's soccer ball comes shooting out in front of you and you have to take some evasive action other than trying to stop? You have to put the car in gear to accelerate. Time lost if you're in neutral...possibly with serious consequences. With a stick, if you feel like you have to coast, depress the clutch and downshift to a gear that will provide some oomph in an emergency, based on your coasting speed.

Hate to sound like an old man, but I am.

·
Registered
147 Posts
thats true and its actually illegal to be in neutral while the car is moving...however it would be really hard to prove if you got a ticket for it

·
Registered
30 Posts
In Florida the law prohibits coasting "when traveling on a downgrade." Don't know about other states, but my guess is most laws are similar. For me and heat88 who are South Florida...well, we're probably not gonna be on too many downgrades unless they're overpasses!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I was taught (and I think taught correctly) that you should never have ANY vehicle, auto or stick, in neutral while driving on a public road.

What happens when some kid or dog or some idiot's soccer ball comes shooting out in front of you and you have to take some evasive action other than trying to stop? You have to put the car in gear to accelerate. Time lost if you're in neutral...possibly with serious consequences. With a stick, if you feel like you have to coast, depress the clutch and downshift to a gear that will provide some oomph in an emergency, based on your coasting speed.

Hate to sound like an old man, but I am.
I've heard this before, but please explain something. If a kid jumps out in front of you, how is having the ability to accelerate (forward speed) going to help at all?

I also shift to neutral when I'm coming to a stop or sometimes when the speed limit drops around 15mph or so.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts