8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ive been driving an 08 si sedan for about a month. took 1 lesson before since it wouldve been my first time driving stick. Some questions i gotta ask
1. does letting the clutch move the car in 1st w/o gas do any damage. i do this constantly cause i cant seem to get the car moving without this method. how about riding the clutch in reverse?
2.I grinded 3st gear only once when downshifting. im expecting lots of metal scrap in my mtf. how bad can this be on the transmission?
3.Skipping gears any good? for instance 6-4-2-N or from any gear 2-N to stop.
4. using friction point to get moving on hills do any harm?
5. any gear if i reach over 4k, i release the gas to slow down the rev drops very slow. this normal?

now i need to relearn to drive T_T
1. how can i get off 1st gear smoothly w/o riding the clutch?
2. how do i rev match to downshift? what rev should i be at? sometimes i get to 6th gear/55mph the rev stays at around 2500 even when i gas. can seem to speed up.
3. it always seems to chug when i shift coasting downhill. how can i improve.

ill ask more when i get stumped. yes lots of questions but i gotta know before i destroy my car

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
ive been driving an 08 si sedan for about a month. took 1 lesson before since it wouldve been my first time driving stick. Some questions i gotta ask Welcome to the civic world
1. does letting the clutch move the car in 1st w/o gas do any damage. i do this constantly cause i cant seem to get the car moving without this method. how about riding the clutch in reverse? So your not giving it any gas at all, just letting the clutch out? It shouldn't damage your tranny, but will probably give you premature clutch wear.
2.I grinded 3st gear only once when downshifting. im expecting lots of metal scrap in my mtf. how bad can this be on the transmission? Don't expect alot of metal, the gears are pretty resilient. After your first grind I woulnd't expect hardly any, if that.
3.Skipping gears any good? for instance 6-4-2-N or from any gear 2-N to stop. Again, premature clutch wear, but only from like 2-5 or something, just make sure that when your downshifting to not put it into gear and make it jump up to crazy rpms
4. using friction point to get moving on hills do any harm? I don't know what this is, but if your riding the clutch at all dont do it.
5. any gear if i reach over 4k, i release the gas to slow down the rev drops very slow. this normal? Its just your tranny dragging because it expects you to shift up, it will always do this.

now i need to relearn to drive T_T
1. how can i get off 1st gear smoothly w/o riding the clutch?
2. how do i rev match to downshift? what rev should i be at? sometimes i get to 6th gear/55mph the rev stays at around 2500 even when i gas. can seem to speed up.
3. it always seems to chug when i shift coasting downhill. how can i improve.
These last three, just go out and practice, its easy enough.
ill ask more when i get stumped. yes lots of questions but i gotta know before i destroy my car

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Welcome to the ()ch(). It seems like you are way to into downshifting already. 8thgenInAL answered your questions very accuratly but maybe you should learn to shift smoother and get a feel of the car first before you kill your transmission trying to learn how to revmatch and downshift. Just take it easy on her and learn one thing at a time. Its going to take alot of time and experience to learn how to drive your baby and you will be spending alot of time driving it anyway so take it slow. Just learn how to shift smoothly and practice just first and second gear's in a parking lot for a few hours. Once you get that down you can learn rev matching, downshifting and heel-toe'ing if you want.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
neutral is not a gear lol...anyways since your a beginner and if you feel like the way your driving your car is really "jerky" or "rough" you are probably doing something wrong or you are just not good...drive smoothly and you wont break your car

lol wait until you:vtec:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Dont worry i didnt learn on my 08 si, but i was still noob at driving stick so i gave my car hell and back. Cars these days are made to have room for mistakes. I am doing pretty bad on riding the clutch in reverse and grinding gears. Most of the time its not my fault but i did do it on accident a couple times. i grinded 2,3,4 and reverse. only did 4th once.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
glad to know im not doing serious harm to anything. just normal wear but could be more gentle. im not moving ahead to revmatch but i just dont like the rough feel when downshifting. and im not sure when i can downshift without blowing the engine when i need to pick up speed

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
glad to know im not doing serious harm to anything. just normal wear but could be more gentle. im not moving ahead to revmatch but i just dont like the rough feel when downshifting. and im not sure when i can downshift without blowing the engine when i need to pick up speed
Here is the deal, this is a road split many ways on the way to stop.
Path A. (This is also what I did when I first was learning). When stopping, just put your car into neutral, take your foot off the clutch, and use ONLY the brake pedal to stop the car. I've read that some people think it will somehow wear the tranny out prematurely, so I didn't do it for to long.

Path B. Slow down in whatever gear your in till 2k or so and downshift. Also, never downshift into 1rst, there is no reason to be in 1rst except when you are first starting to move at a redlight/stop sign/ect..... This is what you should progress into doing after you feel you have the hang of driving.

Path C. (Hybrid of A and B, which is what I do). I slow the car down in the gear that I am untill its about to stall, then shift to neutral, use the brake till 15mph or 20mph and shift into second and let that almost stop me. I mean its a Honda, the tranny won't just implode on itself, your talking the difference between like 200k and 250k miles on the tranny before it goes out. Just drive it like you want to man, but you need to learn before you start rev matching and whatnot.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Dont worry i didnt learn on my 08 si, but i was still noob at driving stick so i gave my car hell and back. Cars these days are made to have room for mistakes. I am doing pretty bad on riding the clutch in reverse and grinding gears. Most of the time its not my fault but i did do it on accident a couple times. i grinded 2,3,4 and reverse. only did 4th once.
LOL, this really takes me back.

·
Registered
355 Posts
1. i find tat i need to keep my foot on the clutch wen im in reverse cause as u fully let it out u will be going backwards really fast, i just blip the throttle with my right foot and left foot on the clutch, its sorta debatable whether u should or not, but i find it safer if i do it tat way

4. i think you mean you are using your friction point to keep the car steady while u let it out and give gas to start from a stop going uphill, just make sure you dont ride the clutch or keep using the friction point to remain stationary as you will burn out the clutch like tat(like its been said before, use your brake). if you are uncomfortable starting from a stop uphill u can also consider pulling up your handbrake and releasing it as you feel your car wants to move forward, but this also takes practice and i personally find it a bit harder than just treating it as starting from a stop normally

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
As we all know, 1st gear is the hardest gear, after that its a piece of cake. I suggest getting a beater to improve bro

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I've been driving standard for 10 days myself and I ride the clutch when going in reverse as once that thing it out doing 10km+ in reverse is to fast in little parking lots.

Oops!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
another tip is when starting at a red light...rev your engine annoying so everyone is looking at you...then hold the gas pedal down and when the light turns green pop the clutch out really fast...

jk dont do that unless you want to get pulled over, look like a dumb***, and/or crash your car

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my driveway is a slope... a very steep one that i scratch with stock height. having coils or springs is off my list T_T. well i always after turning onto the slope unless i have enough speed and jet into the garage. i need to get in under 4mph or something so i cant gas. is it bad to ride the clutch and gas a little to get in? this doesnt take more than 10 secs.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
its ok to ride it a little but do let your rpms get up too high or you will smell your clutch...and you guys saying that you ride the clutch in reverse lol thats perfectly fine it would be super jerky to let it all the way out and it would be really dangerous to go that fast in reverse

as long as you dont ride the clutch for a long time and you arent giving it a ton a gas ur fine

i remember this summer i tried to get up my friend's driveway in reverse and it is really steep...i was used to riding the clutch in reverse because i am not usually giving it that much gas or going fast...so i start backing up and i start to realize i need more gas...i end up redlining the car with the clutch half out for like 2-3 seconds...lmao it smelled soooo bad and i was freaking out...then the clutch cooled after its little bit of wear and tear my car is perfectly fine with so clutch slippage (i am never going up my friend's driveway again ever unless im towed up in neutral lol so i just park in the street lol)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts