8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SI is my first manual car, and I'm getting the hang of it. Upshift wise I have to play the clutch smoothly, and downshift revmatching is pretty easy.

I'm trying to learn heel and toe next, since it would help me get rid of some awkwardness I get when trying to make a quick turn. I know how heel and toe works, but I can't seem to get it at all.

How are you supposed to do it in the SI? Are you supposed to do it with your feet turned sideways? It feels really awkward and my heel can't even blip the gas unless I press the brake down a lot (since the brake pedal is much higher up than the gas)

So then I tried to do it with the toe-pinkytoe method, and my shoes are barely large enough to do it even if I step on the tip of the brake pedal. Out of habit I would always step on the brake pedal in the center. If I was in the middle of mild braking when I realize that I want to heel-toe; I wouldn't be able to shift my feet into the position to blip the gas with my pinky-toe.

So yeah... how do you guys do it? Should I break my ankle so my heel can actually touch the gas pedal w/ the traditional method? lol

·
Banned
4,080 Posts
I've got pedal covers so i use that and voila.. my shoe's large enough to toe/pinky toe...

Hmm, My brakes are worn to the point where you needa press them in a bit anyway...

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
i felt the same way when i started, just practice, and over time you'll find its actually really easy to get you feet in the right position.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
you just have to practice and get a good position with your feet. Me personally, when my feet is sideways, turn it up on the side and use the side of my heel to blip the accel pedal. If that makes any sense,

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I can do it both ways. I have about size 10-11 feet. Um start off by braking with just the toes of your feet. As you get used to that, move your feet farther to the left of the brake pedal and use the heel to touch the gas. IDK I'm not very good at explaining, I hope you understand what I'm trying ot say.. But use tennis shoes for the pinky toe method. Nikes are usually wide enough for me to do pinky toe method..

·
Registered
289 Posts
I find that using wider shoes helps a lot!
Do you have the braking-blipping process smooth?

Yah like leonphelpss11 said, I can do them with my Nike SB's but not anything slimmer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts