8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new Civic owner here.

Just picked up a 2010 Civic Sport (LX Sedan in US??) last week. Love the car so far, put about 700km on it so far.

One question... Car seems a little loud from the rear going over some bumps. Not super loud or anything, but a little noisy on some bumps and it seems to be coming from the rear, possibly rear pass side.

I wouldn't even mention it except for the fact that I also drive a 2009 Civic Hybrid sedan every day at work and it doesn't seem to be as loud at all in the same circumstances.

Could it be the rims and tires (Sport has bigger rims and tires than the Hybrid)? Or maybe because the Hybrid has all the batteries in the trunk that possibly block out more sound?

I was also looking at the spare tire and was surprised that nothing is holding down the styrofoam jack/tire iron holder... Most cars I've owned have that screw right into the floor so it doesn't move... is that known to be a source of noise for the Civic sedan?

Thanks for any heads up.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
Is it a really strange sound? I don't even know how how to describe it but I might have the same one. It like a hollow knock that you can barely hear? Kind of like a shudder? Or a tapping noise? I have this on my '09 too but it doesn't bother me since it's barely audible. lol

Or it could just be the tires like you said. I think the hybrid has 15s? So the tire sidewall is taller and softer compared to 16s.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Is it a really strange sound? I don't even know how how to describe it but I might have the same one. It like a hollow knock that you can barely hear? Kind of like a shudder? Or a tapping noise? I have this on my '09 too but it doesn't bother me since it's barely audible. lol

Or it could just be the tires like you said. I think the hybrid has 15s? So the tire sidewall is taller and softer compared to 16s.
Ya, that sounds about similar, its like a hollow knock and isn't loud, but just loud enough to be kinda annoying.

Curious if its normal or if it could be a future problem in the strut or something...

Overall though I noticed that it rides a little bit harsher and is a little louder than the hybrid which I mostly would associate with the fatter tires and smaller wheels on the hybrid, but this one noise is a little abnormal sounding.

I'm curious if it could be something with the spare tire though because looking in there it seems pretty cheaply put in there and unsecure... I might try taking out the tire jack and seeing if the sound goes away.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
I can't even think of how to describe it. It's like a clatter but it kind of just blends in with the suspension noise because of the tire on the road so it isn't that noticeable. So pretty normal.

It wouldn't be shocks though.. so don't worry about that. My rear shocks groan in very cold weather :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Tried taking everything I had out of the trunk, as well as the spare tire jack kit and the noise was still there.

Also took a ride in my cousins 2007 LX (with same wheels and tires but 50,000 more km) sedan the other day and it didn't seem to have the same noise...

I'm going to keep driving it to see if it gets louder or goes away, if its still around at my first oil change ill let the dealer know...

·
Registered
423 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2010 Civic and the Honda service center fitted a new rubber isolator under the springs.

I have noticed that the rear seems 10mm lower than the front without a load.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys new Civic owner here.

Just picked up a 2010 Civic Sport (LX Sedan in US??) last week. Love the car so far, put about 700km on it so far.

One question... Car seems a little loud from the rear going over some bumps. Not super loud or anything, but a little noisy on some bumps and it seems to be coming from the rear, possibly rear pass side.

I wouldn't even mention it except for the fact that I also drive a 2009 Civic Hybrid sedan every day at work and it doesn't seem to be as loud at all in the same circumstances.

Could it be the rims and tires (Sport has bigger rims and tires than the Hybrid)? Or maybe because the Hybrid has all the batteries in the trunk that possibly block out more sound?

I was also looking at the spare tire and was surprised that nothing is holding down the styrofoam jack/tire iron holder... Most cars I've owned have that screw right into the floor so it doesn't move... is that known to be a source of noise for the Civic sedan?

Thanks for any heads up.

Made an account just to reply to this.
I dropped off my 10' EX-L Civic sedan yesterday @ the dealer. Service writer and his techs said they don't hear anything and it's quiet as can be.

When I went to pick it up, I took it out for a drive with the service writer to their back road with bumps and pointed out this exact noise. He says it's normal because Hondas have a stiffer ride.
However at this time I'm not sure I agree with him. Put the windows up and turn off the radio and the sound is too different from your normal suspension noises, it's far too distinct. I was gonna call another Honda dealer for a 2nd opinion.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
Welcome to the forum :wavey: you'll find a lot of useful info here!

For a little more detail, the best way I can describe it is a clatter from the right rear side. I happened to notice it more than ever today since I went deeper into the city and on worse roads than usual. I wouldn't worry about it, it isn't a "problem," just "annoying." :shrug:

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I have a very similar noise also from the right rear, intermittently but still quite often on my '10 FA1.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hey guys.

Just got back from a week away from the car (flew out of town), and noticed the sound is definitely still there. Its either gotten worse, or I am just noticing it more because I spent the week in quieter cars (including a 2009 Civic LX Sedan with the same rims and tires as mine but didn't seem to make the same noise).

The Civic suspension IS a bit noisier than some other cars, such as a Corolla, that much is normal and I've noticed it in all 8th gen Civics.

But this SPECIFIC noise is different. It seems to definitely be coming from the passenger rear wheel. As described earlier its a "hollow knock". Sounds almost like a car with a bad strut mount, but not as bad.

It seems most noticeable when driving at moderate speed (50-70kph aka 30-45mph), on regular city roads that are moderately bumpy. I notice it more on a small bump like a crack in the road than the bigger ones.

I also hear it when going over some speed bumps, and when I hit the lowered curb pulling into or backing out of my driveway.

And like I said it seems to definitely be coming from pass rear. If I hit a bump and hear it on that wheel, I can turn around and hit the same bump on the passenger side and it sounds normal.

Think I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and set up an appointment. If they drive a lot of Civics, they should be able to notice that it is different.

Kind of annoying because while its not loud, it seems like its ALL I HEAR when driving now. Also the car has 440mi on it so its kind of annoying to have to bring it in already :D .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had a tech check the car out today (needed to go in to get a hood deflector installed anyway).

They roadtested it back to back with a brand new car, and kind of how I expected, said they couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary...

I still hear it but I'm starting to think I might just be crazy.

For now I'm just listening to the radio louder and I'll keep this thread alive in case somebody else with this "problem" finds a solution.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I find it that whenever I am driving I tend to be more aware and conscious about every single thing that is happening in the car, from the slightest noise to everything. I have a noise that is intermittent and taking it in to a honda tech might be out of the question since its hard to replicate it, sometimes it is prominent sometimes not.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since Whistler offered to leave this thread open I thought I'd bring it back to life. Apologies to moderators if breaking thread reply rules.

Similar situation: 2007 Civic Sedan LX with 'sloppy' rear suspension noise more noticeable on passenger side. Rear control arms recently replaced, rear shocks recently replaced. Rear suspension still sounds sloppy or loose.

Also can't seem to get rid of a high speed vibration. Had previous new tires installed after 4 wheel alignment and rear control arm replacement. Goodyear tire dealer tried to balance away the vibration several times. Even had brand new tires installed this weekend. Vibration is a little better but rear suspension still sounds 'sloppy' as ever. Cant help but think the reason for the sloppy sound is also the reason for my 'seat o' the pants' vibration at 60-70mph.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Noisy rear in Coupe

We have a 2008 Civic Coupe, ours developed a noise in the rear after about a year of driving,.. took it to the dealer, they said there was a service advisory for the rear damper units,.. they replaced both rear dampers at 15000 kms,.. at 25000 kms,... the left unit was replaced again. at 25600 kms the right rear was replaced again,... these were all covered under warranty,... now off warranty with 29322 kms 46 months old,... the right unit noisy again,... replaced.. I had to pay this time,.. enough though we had the extended warranty dampers weren't covered,... I was brushed off by the tech when I said it's only been 12 months and 4000 km since it was replaced...I expect to visit the dealer in the next few weeks as I'm sure the left unit will get noisy,...

the tech did tell me to contact Honda Canada about getting they to pay it..

and he did mention the new damper will be covered by a 1 year 20,000 km warranty

·
Registered
3 Posts
i got a 06 ex sedan with 50,000km on it. i hear some weird noise in my passenger side somewhere in the dashboard. its like a loose washer or bolt thats vibrating everytime when im in a bumpy road or snow.

anyone has an idea what is it???

·
Registered
258 Posts
there seems to be alot of threads about this problem. My car has the same thing going on :( poor gina...
for all those who are having this trouble, it is your bearings. I dont know how much the dealership will charge and I'm still looking into costs. ill update you guys soon!

·
Registered
9 Posts
check your rear calipers.. its the only loose part in the area of the rear wheel the upper and lower bolts needs to be regrease (repack) to make it "snug" fit.

HTH

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I still have this noise coming and going... Car now has 47,000km (about 30k miles I think).

I still mention it to Honda when I bring it in. They of course never hear anything out of the ordinary. I also had a independent mechanic look into it and he couldn't hear anything either.

It is very intermittant though. I could drive down a road in the morning and have the rear passenger side make the clunk/thunk noise the whole way. Then drive down the same road in the afternoon and the car is quiet as a vault.

Really weird. I wish I could figure this out since it has been going on since the car was new and is really the only complaint I have about the Civic.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Mine is like a dome sound and like u have one or those teenager exhaust that are loud coming from rear driver side i believe. It makes a little vibration too. Shocks maybe? I have 170k. If so, how wud u know if shocks are bad?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts