8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
Make sure everything is tight, if you haven't.

Next it just may be them settling, give it a week or two, if you haven't.

Lastly, just may be the nature of the beast and that the design of the spring's coil, when compressing, may be touching each other creating a metal to metal clunk.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
Long ago, when I put my Skunk 2 springs on, I would get a popping noise up front at low speeds. It usually happened when I was manuvering the car in a parking lot, but the sounds went away quickly, and hasn't done it since the initial install.

·
Registered
665 Posts
welcome to the world of cheap aftermarket suspensions. you will likely just have to live with it.

it prob has something to do with the nut on the strut shaft that tightens down the spring hat. did you compress the skunk2 spring when you tightened that down? that sucker needs to thread down as much as possible. if thats not the problem, make sure the top 3 flange nuts are torqued to spec.

*edit* this is what im referring to

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didnt do that because the spring was shorter and went on with out compressing it. But i cranked that thing down very tight, i took the wheel off to see if there was any movement in the strut itself and there is no play in the strut. Why would a few more threads on the top hat keep it from making a noise when going over bumps??

·
Premium Member
37,355 Posts
i agree with this, it may be that screw is not tighten and the spring is hitting the top hat

welcome to the world of cheap aftermarket suspensions. you will likely just have to live with it.

it prob has something to do with the nut on the strut shaft that tightens down the spring hat. did you compress the skunk2 spring when you tightened that down? that sucker needs to thread down as much as possible. if thats not the problem, make sure the top 3 flange nuts are torqued to spec.

*edit* this is what im referring to

·
Premium Member
37,355 Posts
nah, you can tighten it without removing the strut.

just put w/e wheel on a curb to compress it, and then just tighten the bolt, a socket and wrench fit right in there. just lube it with somesome oil, let it sit for a minute and tighten it

·
Premium Member
37,355 Posts
the wrenchs that i had with an angle couldnt fit into the space allowed by the top hat.

by anymeans use w/e tools you can get in there. just try to compress the suspension on the side your working on. i would put just that wheel and tire onto a curb , then tighten away. keeping it on the car or removing it really shouldnt be a factor, since the weight on it is on the actual tophat and not on that shaft neccesarily.

if it wont tighten anyfurther, than id assume that isnt your problem

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.