8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its about two weeks since my car started to screech, I was thinking it's probably time to change the brakes.. Yesterday I changed the brakes but kept the same rotors(cleaned them) on.. now the sounds occurs off and on, I think louder then before, I talked to a guy at Advanced Auto Parts, and they told me the rotors are probably glazed but more then likely I need to change my wheel bearings, how is that?? I only have 34,000 miles on the car, I need your inputs before I take the car to a dealership(pretty far away).. Thanx

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
i put brakes on about 2 months ago and still a lite squeak. i replaced my driver front wheel bearing a couple weeks after. wheels bearing don't make screeching, itll sound like more of a hard constanst annoying grind like if ur dragging something. i have 26k miles so it doesnt matter about miles it just depends on the driver. i dont drive my car much so im pretty sure my brakes arent fully broke in yet or i need to clean them again. my rotors where fine

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well its about two weeks since my car started to screech, I was thinking it's probably time to change the brakes.. Yesterday I changed the brakes but kept the same rotors(cleaned them) on.. now the sounds occurs off and on, I think louder then before, I talked to a guy at Advanced Auto Parts, and they told me the rotors are probably glazed but more then likely I need to change my wheel bearings, how is that?? I only have 34,000 miles on the car, I need your inputs before I take the car to a dealership(pretty far away).. Thanx
Need to isolate the noise to constant & speed sensitive (all the time) vs. only when braking. If only during braking, then probably true that the rotors are glazed/grooved. A light resurfacing will likely work but personally prefer to throw rotors away and start with new.

Most parts store people make 2 assumptions about Honda brakes that are false with this Civic:
1. All Honda rotors are mounted to the back-side of the hub and can not be easily replaced.
2. If rotors are changed, the wheel bearings are likely damaged in the process of removong the hubs.

Rotors on this Civic model are loose fit to the front of the hubs and relatively cheap & easy to replace. There is still a chance wheel bearings are bad but highly unlikely at this age/mileage.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Im having the same problem. Im at 47k on my 08 LX. O_O

But the thing is, I only hear the noise when I go, it stops about 20mph and up. And it also stop when I come to a complete stop and as soon as i get to about 3mph, I hear the noise again. Wtf. Inputs? And somtimes I don't hear it at all.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine is doing the same sh*t. Except that it's making noise in the range of 1 to 35 mph. Otherwise, no popping, clunking or any sh*t like that

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah the sound only comes up when sometimes when I'm driving about 30-40 miles an hr til I stop.. You can still hear it a little when you press down on the brakes.. The sound is a screech, like two metals grinding..that is on both sides? Maybe it is the rotors and I need to replace them?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine is from the passenger side. And it's gone crazy right now when the weather is warm. Popping continuously when driving below 40mph and Clunking on every bumps and/or really rough roads.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I realize that too, today and yesterday, I drove to work, takes me about 20 minutes on the highway then when I reach a secondary road the sound comes up when I'm driving under 40 mph.. anyways I'm taking it to the dealer on Friday, I'll keep ya up 2 date..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the delay, took it to the dealer and it seemed that they didn't want to help, talked to the tech and she was a ***** and then the mechanic who said everything was ok even after he heard the noise, said his car was worse.. Finally decided to change the rotors and now the sound is gone..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts