8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I drive an '07 FG2. I have a weird suspension issue: Every time I wash the car in the local automatic car wash, the right front of the car's suspension makes a clunking sound when I hit a bump. I believe the car wash's under-carriage wash is messing with some part of the suspension. It eventually goes away after a few hours of driving. I've had the suspension inspected and my shop is telling me everything is fine and that I shouldn't worry if it's only doing it after a car wash. I think they said it might be a loose stabilizer bar, but I'm not sure if that's right. The car does not seem to corner as well as it used to and I'm wondering if this may be the culprit.

TURN UP THE VOLUME AND LISTEN AT 6 SECONDS AND 17 SECONDS

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have an fg1 and it does it too sometimes in the summer it didn't do it before with 15" wheels but it does it since I installed the 06-08 Si 17" wheels

It's strange that a wash can cause that

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Bump!

Come on people. I washed it again today and it was worse. I need help here!

I have an fg1 and it does it too sometimes in the summer it didn't do it before with 15" wheels but it does it since I installed the 06-08 Si 17" wheels

It's strange that a wash can cause that
So are you saying your car does not make the sound after a car wash but only after you installed larger diameter wheels? If so I'd say we are talking about 2 totally different issues here. `

·
Registered
253 Posts
^^:facepalm:

Anyway... it sounds like swaybar bushings or a bad shock.

I'll go with swaybar bushings for 500 Alex. :dancing:

I'm not sure the car wash isn't a red herring, but I suppose the water could make it worse somehow..

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Sounds like a swoosh of water? I think water is getting in the top of the shock tower. There is a plastic guard that prys off to expose it. Maybe spray it with plastic/o-ring safe lube and spray the swaybar end links with the same stuff.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sounds like a swoosh of water? I think water is getting in the top of the shock tower. There is a plastic guard that prys off to expose it. Maybe spray it with plastic/o-ring safe lube and spray the swaybar end links with the same stuff.
If this is right, I'll buy you a beer. :beer:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No it doesn't sound like water at all. Listen closely to the video. It's almost a knocking or popping sound.

I'll go with swaybar bushings for 500 Alex
This sounds more logical but would replacing the sway bar with an aftermarket sway fix the issue? Or would only the bushings need to be replaced? I know zero about suspension issues so hopefully someone here does.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
It's hard to narrow that sounds down, you say 6 and 17 but it's really different and so many sounds. Anyways, I am game for a little spray on the swaybar bushings since they must be getting sprayed at the wash as well.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's hard to narrow that sounds down, you say 6 and 17 but it's really different and so many sounds. Anyways, I am game for a little spray on the swaybar bushings since they must be getting sprayed at the wash as well.
So you mention greasing the bushings. Using the picture (thx 2 Maquizon19) below can you point me to where they are? Are they the rubber grommet looking things. When I think bushing, I think a disk similar to a washer. If that is what they are they may not be in the picture and they are covered by the rubber pieces. Regardless please elaborate. Sorry but I'm definitely a suspension noob. I know absolutely nothing.

This is a pic of a sedan sway BTW:
stock sedan sway.jpg

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
You can lube those pieces of rubber as they are bushings and connected to each end of that sway bar are swaybar end links that move also and should have some lube on tops and bottoms which is mainly what I am talking about.

·
Registered
253 Posts
So you mention greasing the bushings. Using the picture (thx 2 Maquizon19) below can you point me to where they are? Are they the rubber grommet looking things. When I think bushing, I think a disk similar to a washer. If that is what they are they may not be in the picture and they are covered by the rubber pieces. Regardless please elaborate. Sorry but I'm definitely a suspension noob. I know absolutely nothing.

This is a pic of a sedan sway BTW:
View attachment 37330
Ok, in the pic, you see the swaybar obviously.. those two pieces of rubber are the bushings. The ends of the swaybar have holes in them, and they are bolted- you'll wanna check to make sure they're still bolted(not loose).

Once you get under the car, you will see how the bushings work. The most common problem is that the bushings can be noisy (creaky usually) OR that the bushings have deteriorated to the degree that you have noise everytime you hit a bump.

Here's what the bushings look like installed (not a civic, but it's a pretty universal setup)

I'm not convinced it's the problem, but you're gonna have to rule out the common culprits... are you positive this ONLY happens after car washes?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, in the pic, you see the swaybar obviously.. those two pieces of rubber are the bushings. The ends of the swaybar have holes in them, and they are bolted- you'll wanna check to make sure they're still bolted(not loose).

Once you get under the car, you will see how the bushings work. The most common problem is that the bushings can be noisy (creaky usually) OR that the bushings have deteriorated to the degree that you have noise everytime you hit a bump.

Here's what the bushings look like installed (not a civic, but it's a pretty universal setup) image

I'm not convinced it's the problem, but you're gonna have to rule out the common culprits... are you positive this ONLY happens after car washes?
Thanks for the reply and pic, it makes more sense now. I am 100% sure it only happens after a car wash, and it only lasts for about an hour's worth of driving after the car wash until it goes away. It is only automatic washes that cause the problem, b/c if I hand wash I don't have an issue. It has to be caused by the under-carriage wash getting something wet.

What springs r u using?
Totally stock suspension.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I experience the same thing after I use a powerwasher. I dont spray under the car, but i spray in the wheelwells, and the sound mine makes is the same as yours.

It also comes from the right front and lasts for about 30 minutes or until the water is gone from where ever its getting.

It ONLY happens after powerwashing in the wheelwell. It doesnt happen when driving in heavy rain or at ANY other time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone ever find a cause and fix for this, I have a 2006 acura mdx that does the same thing, always right front and only when wet. It's like a metal clanky noise, almost like something is dangling. My husband and mechanic think I am crazy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think the carwash knocked some of the wheel well plastic loose and its flapping from the vibrations and the wind. Just my opinion since I've seen it happen before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry for reopening a dead thread. I have been experiencing the same exact issue. My vehicle is not a Civic, but is FWD. As an engineer this has really stumped me. Nearly all suspension parts are new as are Strut assemblies. Just started this summer after car washes. Lasts a few hours , goes away. Wondering if anyone solved this problem?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts