8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Noise after cold start Help Plz. ( Plz Read )

23199 Views 108 Replies 40 Participants Last post by  arraydude
Alright guys, I have skunk2 stage2 cams, hybrid TCT. ect. When my car sits overnight lets say and in the morning i start it, Right when it fires and turns over there's a chattering noise ? Well i just took off my valve cover to change my header ( to make it easier to get to the bolts ) and im looking and i see the timing chain is lose ? Its not loose around the gears but at the top there slack in the chain.

Could this be where the noise is coming from ?

Should the chain have slack in it ?

and if not could the TCT be bad ?

I Hope someone can help me with this. !!
1 - 20 of 109 Posts
Bump anyone have any info on this ?
Nobody sure ?

Is the timing chain supposed to have slack in it ? I understand it ran off oil pressure but i dont think it should have slack in it. Can anyone back me up or let me kno ur opinion
Bumb help a 8th member out plz with some info !!!!
Mine does the same thing! It has stopped since the summer but its really annoying. Im in for more info as well
you should def try contacting s2 to see if the issues is known.
sounds like the timing chain tensioner is on its way out. i had a customer earlier this year who had a brand new set of skunk2 stage 2's installed as well as the hybrid tensioner and the tensioner took a **** in less than a week.

try changing the tensioner. even if it's a working oem one and see if the noise goes away.
So theres def not sopossed to have any slack in the chain right. it should be 100% tight either way right !!!!! and yes it very annoying. its a chatter for like 1 sec everytime a cold start or i let it set for awhile.
I get the same noise on startup and under low-RPM medium-load conditions, such as in a parking garage and going up a ramp at 1.5-2k RPM with part throttle. It sounds like valve clatter, but I can't be sure. I still have a warranty, so I'm going to take it to Honda and have them poke around on it for free. I've never over-revved it, but I don't know about the previous owners.
I get the same noise on startup and under low-RPM medium-load conditions, such as in a parking garage and going up a ramp at 1.5-2k RPM with part throttle. It sounds like valve clatter, but I can't be sure. I still have a warranty, so I'm going to take it to Honda and have them poke around on it for free. I've never over-revved it, but I don't know about the previous owners.
I have the same issue!
Hmmm nobody knows what it is yet lol besides
the tensioner going bad ?
i was just about to order the HRT and now im not sure
Assuming you have an after market valve train, that would be valve chatter. I have always had the same thing going on, its always more pronounced in that general rpm range, it sounds beast though! I can't speak for oem valve train because I can't remember.

Hmmm nobody knows what it is yet lol besides
the tensioner going bad ?
Its the tensioner. That's the specific reason people are afraid of the oem tct. Then pay $400 for hybrids tct only for that to fail. I have read more about hybrids tct failures than any of the oem ones failing. In theory yes the oem can fail at a cold start and some damage can be done. However I wouldn't worry about it at all. Now the tct's for the f20/22 those are notorious for failing.

Maybe ten years ago when the k20a2's first hit the market there was a problem, IDK. Maybe parts have changed since then IDK. I just did a quick search and couldn't find anything on this site, can't recall anything of the top of my head of the oem ones failing and ruining peoples motor. I just have read more often than not of people having problems with the hybrid tct's. Which again ironically is the whole reason people put the hybrids on. Maybe over on k20a.org theirs some more in depth reading.

i was just about to order the HRT and now im not sure
Oem tct ftw, save yourself the $400 in the meantime.
See less See more
I had the same problem. My Toda tensioner went bad. Replaced it and no more noise. It seems to be common with upgraded cams. Especially at start up.
was just looking at how much and oem cost ($68-my discount)i think ill just order a spare tct and if anything goes wrong swap and order another back up.

*if you think it will be alright(i need to do some more reading)
**sorry to thread jack-just needed some more info
So is that saying the pumps are bad making the noise racer ? Im thinking its the TCT. i have my oem one and ill change it and make sure the chains tight. QUESTION !!!!!!! Guys when installing the TCT... After i get it bolted up and release the pin to tighten the chain to i need to squeeze it to make it tight or let it be and start it up and let the oil pressure tighten the chain ?
is it a griding noise that only occurs for like 1-2 seconds at start-up?

I have the same problem as well. i have cams w/ valvetrain, but when we check the tensioner, it look perfectly fine.

my friend has the same problem and his is a OEM K24/K20.
Step 13 : Reinstall the Timing Chain Tensioner
If you didn't have to totally remove the tensioner in step 4 skip ahead.
Without removing the retaining pin, place the tensioner back into the cavity in the timing chain cover in its original position.
Note the tensioner has a shaft that fits into a notched plate on the right side. Make sure the tensioner shaft is not angled above or below this notch; it should fit in perpendicular.
Align the two bolt holes and install the 2 bolts. This is a bit tricky to get it lined up right, and you might need to use a screwdriver or something to wedge the tensioner in place while you install the bolts.
If this is too difficult you can put the tensioner in a vise and push the tensioner shaft further in for better clearance. It has a pawl on top that clicks into notches to hold it in.
Torque the 2 bolts to 8.7 lb-ft.
With the tensioner in place once again verify that the cam gears and crank pulley are all aligned at TDC. Now you can rotate the crank clockwise several revolutions and check the TDC at each turn. After doing this several times, you can be confident that it the engine is in time.
Scrape the residual HondaBond off the tensioner access cover and off the area where it mounts on the timing chain cover. (Try not to let any fall inside since it will end up in the oil pan.
Apply a bead of fresh HondaBond onto the mounting surface of the access cover and around the bolt holes.
Reinstall the access cover and the 3 bolts.
Torque the 3 bolts to 8.7 lb-ft.
Reconnect the crankshaft position sensor harness connector, and snap the retaining clip back into the access cover.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.