8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 EX Coupe 1.8L with 125K miles. All of a sudden, car doesn't start, no crank, no clicks, no buzzing...yet all dash and accessory lights work when ignition is on. Here's what I've tested so far before I get under the car for the PIA starter replacement(hoping it's not):

• Installed brand new battery, charged and multimeter tested 12.6V - still no start
  • Checked and tested the negative terminal ground - no start
  • Checked/verified underhood fuse box for the big fuse/relay conductivities - no start
  • Checked/verified under dash relays - no start
  • Replaced ignition switch under the steering column - no start

Now, here's where I'm puzzled:
I checked voltages on the ignition wires under steering column before and after the ignition switch:
  • white (constant) wire - 12.1V
  • orange (accessory) wire - 12.1V
  • yellow (starter) wire - 11.3V <-- how could this be lower?

Would a bad starter somehow indicate a low voltage at the ignition starter (yellow) wire?

TIA.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Sounds like the starter hit the bucket and I hate to say it cause I replaced mine not too long ago in the driveway and lets just say it was one of the hardest jobs i've ever had to do to my car yet. If you turn the key and its a solid click, pretty much a dead giveaway the starter went out. Highly recommend long extensions and swivel sockets when doing this job.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I can second FD7683, the starter is one of the hardest jobs I've done other than the vtec solenoid gasket, the starter is almost impossible to reach the back bolt, actually any of the bolts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Soo, 3 hours and lots of aggravation later, it was indeed the starter. The car is back on the road and starts without issues.

For a 2-bolt job this was definitely challenging. Tight space and just a PIA upper bolt location.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts