8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill be in san antonio soon and will have no cat. Will i have inspections and emissions test?
And another thing is ill be coming from SC And my my car is primarily under my moms name ( she has been out of state for a few years so were already in different states) but i will continue to keep it that way since it is way cheaper! Would that cause any problems?? i will change at some point but meaning for now.. and by not having a texas tag i would bypass emissions and what not for now right?

And if this thread would fit better somewhere fell free to switch it mod
:dance:

Help is greatly appreciated!

·
Banned
244 Posts
ya you will bypass the emission test in texas...soo you got nothing to worry about..i did that to my prelude when i was living up in boston for a year or so..i kept it florida tag while i was living in boston since i know it wont pass emission test for crap...i did got pull over by the cops for speeding tho but when the officer ask me "do i live in boston"..i told the officer im on vacation and visiting a family member ..plan and simple.. i did that when i was living in jersey also...dont have to worry about emission and cheaper insurance also ..i kept my driver license florida..i didnt change it to the state that i was in..just incase you wondering

·
garage queen
17,376 Posts
In Dallas it's pretty much no CEL = pass. Is there no emissions in SC? I think if you keep registered there, you don't have to do emission check.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok well i have a scanner and i could clear the cel which would stay cleared for a test. and no we dont have test here lol. SC dont give a **** hah. and yea thats the plan stay registered here and no problems for now.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
texas is pretty lax on their inspections....unless you just get an ******* that wont pass you for stupid ****. ive been turned down for my tint being too dark. so i went and found the owner of the establishment that happens to be a family friend. he pulled me right in and passed me no questions.

it just depends on who you know.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And like i said i shouldnt be worrying about it now anyways. but if u do fail for whatever reason what does that mean exactly ?

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
youll have to pay for the inspection that you failed, and its just another reason for cops to give you crap. and my tint was 20% i do believe. you couldnt see a damn thing through anything but the windshield.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But is there any fine involved? i know nothing about the testing bc like i said they dont do it here

·
Registered
800 Posts
One FYI if you have nosy neighbors though. There is a hotline number that people can call if they see a car with out of state plates parked in the same place for more than a few weeks. Texas says that once you live here, you have so many weeks to get your registration moved over to Texas. Also under that law, if you drive more than 51% of your time in an area that requires emission testing, you have to get your vehicle emission tested no matter what county (or state) it's tagged in.

You probably wouldn't have an issue with this, but just keep it in the back of your mind.

BTW - I've never had them crawl under my car looking for a cat. They just kind of look it over and plug it into the machine that looks for error codes related to emissions and check the gas cap. My bald tires even passed my last inspection. I just told the guy that I was getting new ones soon and he said OK.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
^thats pretty much it.

if you get pulled over without your inspection updated, youll get a fine that can usually get dismissed after you get your inspection renewed. youll just have to pay like $20 in court fees.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies. im not to worried about it. i should get by for a bit with no problems

1 - 13 of 13 Posts