8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need to take my si to get inspected. But now I have a full exhaust and header. Would I fail for emissions? Has anyone out there in jersey passed wit exhaust and header?

Sent from my PH44100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am in for information on this as well. Jersey does not do a visual inspection. They just plug into the obd2 port for codes or cleared codes. I have inspection next year and I have full exhaust and race header with flash pro.
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Binks
18,140 Posts
No. They stick a device in the muffler to check for emission level. They will know if you're cat-less (or even if you have a defective cat) or not by reading emission level.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
They do a visual inspection out by me, though you wouldn't know unless you asked, as they drive your car in there are cameras in the ground that look under the car for a cat, no cat visually means they do a sniffer to make sure it's in there somewhere. Exactly the reason I built my custom cat for my full-race exhaust, it's easily visible and passes emissions.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just as a note looking under the car wont really help an inspection station check for a cat because every car ha them in different spots. I know the si has it down under, but all other civics have it bolted to the front of the engine.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That's why when they don't see it they do a sniffer, as I already said, because like you said they aren't always visible, my friends tc has the cat in the header on the front of the motor completely non-visible from underneath the car so they do a sniffer test on his car when he gets it inspected, my car has a cat that is visible so they just connect it to the obd2 and run a scan no sniffer needed

·
Registered
17 Posts
And I just ordered q300 and skunk2 alpha. I thought if FP would delete the CEL that would come on probably come on bcuz no cat, then it would pass here in NJ -_-
I live in central jersey

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If you go to a station where they don't look under the car you will be fine. Or just go to a place and pay the extra for a sticker lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you go to a station where they don't look under the car you will be fine. Or just go to a place and pay the extra for a sticker lol.
The closest DMV to me is in lawrenceville that does inspections. I forget if they look under. Pretty sure they don't. I guess I'll find out when I'm due!

·
Registered
302 Posts
The closest DMV to me is in lawrenceville that does inspections. I forget if they look under. Pretty sure they don't. I guess I'll find out when I'm due!
i live in central jersey too.. a friend of mine has an 06 si and he got it inspected in the summer of '11 at the same lawrenceville dmv. he said they attached the sniffer to his tail pipe to check emissions levels..

im guessing we can just go to a local shop that will do the inspection for us? i assume theyll be too lazy to do the full inspection and hopefully just stop after checking for a CEL.

has anybody else got their si inspected from the lawrenceville DMV location?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts