8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals. Currently, I am running on the Nitto NT01's. And quite honestly, I feel as though I would and should never use any other tire but these given my experience with them on the track. But unfortunately, life is being a pain in the a**, and I just cant afford to put down the money for the NT01's anymore. So I want to use a reasonable alternative to the NT01's. I was looking at the NT05's. The price range is do-able, they are made by the same company that makes my beloved NT01's, and they seem to have good reviews. However, there are a few questions that could use some clarification before I buy them..

Before the NT01's I had the Falken RT615's ( NOT the newer RT615k ), and they were good, but truthfully, I would use the RT615's as a rain tire. And going between the two was like a night and day difference in grip in dry conditions. And the past few reviews I have read, people are comparing the rt615's to the NT05's as if they are equals. Are they that similar? I was expecting the NT05's would be better then the rt615's, but not as good as the NT01's..

Also, I am running on volk te37's at 17x7.5 .. And the nt05's only come in 235/40 17 ( smallest that is ).. Would these be too big for my rims? I did in fact, do search here on the boards, and I am seeing a mix of both yes and no answers. I would hope to get some clarification on that.

Thanks all

·
Registered
440 Posts
Falkens get alot of bad reviews, I read up and compared tires for a while and the most recommended and best reviewed I could find were the Dunlop star specs and the bridgestone re-11

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
RE-11's are way overpriced compared to the SS which offer the same grip levels.

His best bet is the Hankook Ventus V12's if he needs great grip at an affordable price.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the same wheels and spec and ive ran a 225/45/17 tire on them so the 235 you mentioned should fit NP.
Ah cool. Good to hear.

also, about the Falkens, I have no intention on buy those tires again. I had the regular RT615's and they were not that great at all. Furthermore, I have read that the RT615k's are not that much of an improvement from the regular versions, yet they cost nearly as much as the NT01's .. So im definitely not getting those.

I have been hearing that the hankooks were good. How would you compare the Ventus V12's to the falkens and the nitton NT01?

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
The NT01 is similar to a R compound tire and wont last prob more then 10k miles on the street.

The V12's will offer plenty of dry and wet grip and last twice as long so you will get more for your money.

The NT05 looks to offer more dry grip then the V12 but wet grip might suffer. I dont see them lasting as long as the V12's as well but its one sexy tire no doubt.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the NT01 is an R compound tire to my understanding. I have been driving on them for years now and they are awesome. But as you mentioned, they dont last long at all, and they are flippin pricey. I looked into the V12's and they are not quite what im looking for. But when looking at the V12's, I did see the ventus r-s3 tire in there. That looks similar to what im looking for. Has anyone ever used those?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well the NT01 is an R compound tire to my understanding. I have been driving on them for years now and they are awesome. But as you mentioned, they dont last long at all, and they are flippin pricey. I looked into the V12's and they are not quite what im looking for. But when looking at the V12's, I did see the ventus r-s3 tire in there. That looks similar to what im looking for. Has anyone ever used those?
I run R-S3's on the street and for autox. I've never used them on the track but I will say they grip very well (especially once they have some heat in them). So far I have about 2k miles on them and 3 autox events. Treadwear looks great.

My friend has the NT05's on his Camaro that puts down 400 to the wheels. The car hooks up great and did well on the autox course. I only rode as a passenger, but we both felt like the R-S3's offered a bit more grip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts