8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I was recently faced with the daunting task of buying new tires. For whatever reason I threw out all my research and went with a virtually unknown tire...

The Nitto Invo.

My first impressions, it has very strange looking tread pattern. I actually had second thoughts when they showed up (too late of course)

While I was rolling them on the ground (lazy) to the garage I noticed they picked up all sorts of little rocks in the rubber. Very soft compound as expected from a Z rated tire.

So after mounting and balancing these puppies I naturally went for a drive.

The first thing I noticed is that my car no longer pulls to the right, or at least the pull is not as apparent. I had always figured it was an alignment issue (I still have my hunches) however I don't have to apply nearly as much pressure to keep the car going straight. Hell, I can actually take my hands off the steering wheel for more then a second now.

The next thing I noticed is that these tires are responsive. Just a slight turn of the steering wheel and suddenly my car is zipping in that direction. Took me a day or two to get used to it as it almost seemed sensitive but I love it now.

Not only are they grippy when it comes to steering but I can certainly tell that they are keeping the power to the ground. While I haven't done a hard launch yet to test their grip off the line I have done a few redline 1>2 changes and I really can't get them to chirp. Granted I'm only a stock engine but I used to be able to chirp 3rd.

I'm pretty much to the point where I am gaining confidence in my tires so I plan on visiting some of my favorite curves in the next few days. I can only imagine how they are going to track around an aggressive turn.

It always rains in Florida so some wet driving reviews will hopefully follow as well. I think I can find an empty lot for some hydroplane resistance tests.

P.S. Keep in mind I'm coming from the stock tires (non-summer) so this review is probably worthless to the "hard-core"

P.S.S. For the curious 225/45/17 ($118 each, free shipping, no tax, -$100 of internet orders, http://www.discounttiredirect.com)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Those are the tires, size, and retailer in which I was going to buy them from... I think they look cool, and I heard they perform well... I will have to wait until spring to find out though, the Si sits throughout the winter

·
Registered
281 Posts
well the past couple weeks have been hell with rain here in florida. cant wait to read ur wet traction review. kinda curious on these tires.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry no rain review yet.

Over the weekend I put 1000+ miles on these tires driving from Tampa -> Charleston -> Atlanta -> Tampa.

I am pleasantly pleased by the ride quality. Very quiet & very smooth.

Since the car was loaded with suitcases and such I didn't try out any extreme maneuvers, I'll work on that this week...along with trying to find a puddle or two.

P.S. I forgot to mention how sweet they improve braking performance.

I had gotten new pads, rotors & fluid a few days after putting on the tires. I had to bed the pads to the rotors so I did about 10 runs up to 60 then mashed the brakes (about 90%) back down to 10 or so. Not once did my ABS attempt to come on. Normally when braking this hard in the stockers I would get a little ABS "wobble" but not once did it happen. Now granted I did improve the braking system itself however the ABS is triggered by the tires loosing grip which never happened so I feel the tires earned a solid A on braking grip.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
OP, thanks for the great review. I am planning on getting different wheels and summer tires and have been looking at several tire options. The price seems really good. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the past couple weeks have been hell with rain here in florida. cant wait to read ur wet traction review. kinda curious on these tires.
Has it been raining down there? Dry as a bone up in St. Pete. I haven't driven once in the rain since getting these tires and it's driving me crazy.

I'm gonna bump the psi up to 40 and see what happens.

:vtec:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts