8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my setup is intake/race header/exhaust/TB spacer/nitrous 50 wet shot. i am NOT YET running colder plugs. im clueless how to read the spark plug, and havent had time to go to a shop and ask around, so if some one here has a recomendations for a 1 or 2 step colder plugs...that would be great.

problem:
i have only sprayed 2 times to make sure what i was feeling.
its very hard to describe but there is a sound coming from the exhaust. i dont think its a backfire, because its much more quiet than that (unless i just cant hear that well over the header/exhaust combo) almost seems like the motor moving may be causing the header/exhaust to be hitting somthign under the car and its making a knocking sound.
would a slight backfire be normal under these conditions/mods? if this is a backfire, would the colder plugs fix this?

also, at the same moment of the sound, there is what seems to be a sudden hesitation. feels like im being jerked forward (like im being rear ended) and then then i get pulled back into my seat. this is all very quick, it snot like im getting thrown out of my seat, but i definatly feel it. could this also be caused by detonation/pre-ignition (whichever it may be) due to the wrong spark plugs?

if anyone else has any other ideas, please let me know. i just do not want to damage the motor....
thanks in advance.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am abou to get new sparks plugs, 2 steps colder. but, i want to make sure im not damaging the motor by running them all the time. will the amount i spray warrent colder spark plugs? or am i doing more harm than good by having them in there when im not spraying?

BTW, the car is my DD.

·
Registered
373 Posts
On clubrsx.com, most of the people only changed their plugs to one step colder when they ran anything over a 75 shot. From my understanding, and i would check for myself if i wee you, you should be fine running a 50 shot without changing the plugs.

·
Premium Member
2,754 Posts
For every 50-75 HP you should run 1 stage colder of a spark plug. Switch to the colder stage to help you prevent detonation. And you likely won't feel the detonation unless you have some serious detonation going on. It will be silent to your ears or if you do have it it will sound like marbes in a tin can.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so if my car is 180whp stock, and if i border 200whp n/a with my mods, and when spraying i am at 250, what do you recomend? becuase im not normally at 250, but when i am is it that bad that i should change the plugs? what about the time with the colder plugs when im not spraying?

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
my setup is intake/race header/exhaust/TB spacer/nitrous 50 wet shot. i am NOT YET running colder plugs. im clueless how to read the spark plug, and havent had time to go to a shop and ask around, so if some one here has a recomendations for a 1 or 2 step colder plugs...that would be great.

problem:
its very hard to describe but there is a sound coming from the exhaust. i dont think its a backfire, because its much more quiet than that (unless i just cant hear that well over the header/exhaust combo) almost seems like the motor moving may be causing the header/exhaust to be hitting somthign under the car and its making a knocking sound.
would a slight backfire be normal under these conditions/mods? if this is a backfire, would the colder plugs fix this?

also, at the same moment of the sound, there is what seems to be a sudden hesitation. feels like im being jerked forward (like im being rear ended) and then then i get pulled back into my seat. this is all very quick, it snot like im getting thrown out of my seat, but i definatly feel it. could this also be caused by detonation/pre-ignition (whichever it may be) due to the wrong spark plugs?

if anyone else has any other ideas, please let me know. i just do not want to damage the motor....
thanks in advance.
I changed my plugs, I haven't had any of those weird noises or hesitation. The only noises I got were from the steel braided lines rubbing against something when I forgot to zip tie one.
Its usually you put the pedal to the floor and your pushed back in your seat. Unless (you launch from a stop) you just put it in first and slam your foot down, which is really bad for the engine.

Reactions: NIGHTHAWKSI

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I changed my plugs, I haven't had any of those weird noises or hesitation. The only noises I got were from the steel braided lines rubbing against something when I forgot to zip tie them.
Its usually you put the pedal to the floor and your pushed back in your seat. Unless (you launch from a stop) you just put it in first and slam your foot down, which is really bad for the engine.
i had a noise from the lines also, went back in there and cleaned up the install and its perfect now.
but im confused by the bold part...nitrous should only be used under full throttle (pedal to the floor)....
unless your talking normal driving?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

problem:

thanks in advance.

Sounds like detonation to me. Not good for the tops of your pistons and/or ringlands. Good luck with that.

nitrous = bad idea w/ no tune...

·
Banned
710 Posts
If your gonna get a new spark plug make I would reccomend the Pulstar CB1

I read about it in a magazine, sounds pretty good, im gonna go pick up a pack one of these days, as for your problems, the sound in the exhaust and the feelings you get may be caused by the plug, make sure to get a new one, im pretty sure thats what it is, if that dosent work, make sure you dident kill any pistons using your n2o. Otherwise you have to rebuild the whole cylinder if you killed a piston. Maybe take it over to your dealership when you have time and let them take a look at it.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^lol, no pisons are shot. the car drives perfect when not spraying. i have only sprayed a total of maybe 5 times, because i am waiting to get my spark plugs before i really go at it.

Sounds like detonation to me. Not good for the tops of your pistons and/or ringlands. Good luck with that.

nitrous = bad idea w/ no tune...
there are plenty of people running nitrous without a tune. ony a dry kit needs tuning, a mild wet shot is fine. its just a matter of spark plugs.

·
Banned
710 Posts
^ well good thing you know what your doing, and keep it on the track, words of advice...

so ya, just make sure you get a good spark plug and then tell us how everything turned out!

·
Registered
490 Posts
NIGHTHAWKSI- I have a Wideband available but you would have to come to the bronx to utilize it. So we can check your A/F. Give me a call or PM me.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i am going to the dyno on the 20th...i assume they can give me my a/f, but thank you very much for the offer and if anything chages ill let you know.

im still on the fence wether or not to get the plugs. i cant get more than 1 person to tell me teh same answer.

will the use of colder plugs harm the motor when not spraying? lets say i only spray twice a week, will using the plugs for the rest of the time cause more harm than good?
this car is my DD and i put a few hundred miles a week....

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hey nighthawk! I hope you are enjoying the kit so far. Read of your troubles. I never had the problem you are describing as i had switched to the denso iriduims one step colder plugs. The thing about them I felt was you tended to run a little richer, more uncombusted fuel, wich will help detonation in your case. I also ran the 75 shot. Also have you checked the jets to make sure they are clear of debris? I found some gunk in them once so thats why I ask. Also I cant wait to see the Dyno results. Oh and if you get a chance...go play with an SRT and put the hurtin on em :D

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
alright, looks like i will try the denso ik22 plugs then. there was no debris in teh jsuts except for 1 of the ones for the 50 shot...it had a metal shaving....looks like it was from when the jet was milled.
thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.