8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought my '08 NHBP Si towards the end of October, the damn dealer cleaned the car before I drove off the lot, I checked everything out very closely when I got home and seemed fine though I did notice a few minor clear coat scratches.

Unfortunately got rear-ended by an idiot about a month later (I detailed it in another post), so my car had to go into the shop for a few days to get new bumper. I told them not to clean it afterwards and they honored my request.

Got the car home and noticed the bumper wasn't painted perfectly but is pretty good, can see swirls in a certain light looking at it from one particular angle.

Just got my first oil change, went to the dealer, and to my dismay I discovered they had run it through the wash. I come home and studied the car, and I noticed more swirls and little clearcoat scrapes all over the place under my garage light - but it does still look pretty close to perfect out in the sunlight.

Don't know when all these clearcoat marks occurred. I asked the dealer how they washed the car, they have an automated system (with rollers OMG!!) but they don't have any of their careless idiot workers hand-drying the car (thank God) as it goes through a blower. I don't know if the marks I'm seeing are consistent with rollers anyway, they are pretty random and the scratches are at all different angles. These could have happened I guess at any time during the last few months, this is the closest I've looked at the paint in awhile.

Anyhow so I don't know whether to blame the dealer, it really isn't bad at all - but I want to get rid of these imperfections. I've already tried using ScratchX on some of them but it didn't do much. What product out there can I use that will remove these without having to get a buffer (which I don't have any experience with).

·
Registered
445 Posts
That bumper you got didn't come painted
When you bring your car to a repair shop, they paint and polish the repaired/replaced panel AND every panel around it. They call this "blending", I call it vandalism because they basically swirl up the rest of the car to look like their shitty job on the part that was damaged. Then I swear they put some "glaze" or something on it so when you pick it up, it looks great. The first time you wash it, the glaze comes off and it looks like someone hit it with a brillo pad. (not exactly your case)

I brought my Habby back 3 times to the bodyshop and they were not able to ever get the swirls out to my satisfaction. My car looks like crap in the garage light too.

Anyway, if the automatic wash scratched your car, the scratches will all be the same direction. I suspect it was the blending job at the repair shop.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Swirls seem to show really badly on NHBP, but they're almost always just in the clearcoat and can be easily removed with a good polish then wax.
(you want to avoid products that claim to be both, like a cleaner wax)

I had some pretty bad swirls above my driver's side door when I picked it up from the dealership, but had good luck with meguiars deep crystal system and some cheap microfiber towels from wal-mart.
No buffer necessary, try to avoid doing it in the sun as well.

·
Registered
928 Posts
when you wash darker colored cars always rub in lines no circular motion that helps to create the swirls

·
Registered
809 Posts
Always use clean rags or cloth. Number one reason for swirl marks is something in your buffing pad or cloth. Darker colors are worse than lighter ones obviously. It doesnt take much to do it either. Micro fiber cloths are great but they are also great for trapping little tiny objects that can scratch your clear coat. Thats why I would never buy a black car. They look great when they're new but eventually your doomed. Glad I like silver. Silver is awesome. Keeps clean and hides swirl marks. A friend said to me about my silver camry once. "looks clean! Just wash it?" "Yeah", I said "3 months ago". lol

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Just go get a random orbital or a rotary, a light cutting pad (W-8006) and some #83/80 and polish out the swirls. Owning a black car, you pretty much are required to have this in your cleaning arsenal

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That bumper you got didn't come painted
When you bring your car to a repair shop, they paint and polish the repaired/replaced panel AND every panel around it. They call this "blending", I call it vandalism because they basically swirl up the rest of the car to look like their shitty job on the part that was damaged. Then I swear they put some "glaze" or something on it so when you pick it up, it looks great. The first time you wash it, the glaze comes off and it looks like someone hit it with a brillo pad. (not exactly your case)

I brought my Habby back 3 times to the bodyshop and they were not able to ever get the swirls out to my satisfaction. My car looks like crap in the garage light too.

Anyway, if the automatic wash scratched your car, the scratches will all be the same direction. I suspect it was the blending job at the repair shop.
This seems like a good assessment, the car did seem to look really good when I got it back from the shop even though they did not clean it, though I had it very clean going in. Just now starting to notice the swirls and I think the only answer is this "blending" the body shop did or maybe it came from the factory like this and I'm just now noticing it.

My car before this ('04 Civic EX Coupe) was silver and it was awesome as well at staying clean and not showing scratches. But the color gets boring after awhile. I wanted a black car, read the horror stories about it, and still bought it. I have a garage and I keep my cars clean, and am very familiar with most of the products out there and the ONLY towels I ever use on the car are micro-fiber.

However the post saying the micro-fibers will track dirt is correct, you constantly have to check your towel and shake it out or remove any big particles from it.

Freaking NHBP - great color, but this is going to be a pain. I'll just have to set up my TV in my garage this weekend so I can still watch football but looks like I'm going to have to rub the heck out of this car. But I've got to be careful with a newly-painted bumper don't I? I know I can't wax it for awhile but wasn't sure about paint cleaners.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
when you wash darker colored cars always rub in lines no circular motion that helps to create the swirls
Not true.

What motion you use to wash your car has no effect on whether or not it scratches your finish. Same goes for waxing. If the method you are using is putting scratches in your paint does it really mater if they go horizontal, vertical, or in a circle? If you are scratching your finish then something in you process is flawed. Use what ever motion you like best. I actually change the motion I use depending on the area I am washing.

If you are using proper washing techniques you can virtually eliminate all chances of scratching your finish.

Rasky

1 - 11 of 11 Posts