8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As with all car forums, joining because of issues!

We just picked up a 5 speed coupe that seemed really great on the surface. A few days in and now some questions are arising... Seller was very motivated, and priced competitively but not alarmingly below market.

90k miles, drove GREAT at low speed (got up to 45) but were unable to test high speed due to traffic and lack of plates/insurance on the sellers side. Its had the front upper dog-bone engine mount replaced in the past, as well as most of the recall/warranty fixes. It has been resprayed at some point, which I take it is common for the color. No Clicking or binding of the CV's, no hard starts, or shudders even lugging it a little, smooth shifting through all gears.

Its been a whopping 2 days Since purchase maybe 50-60 miles traveled and already has CEL's that were not present at time of purchase.
  • p0128 History, Current, confirmed, and pending ALL show when you scan it (Had to go to an autozone, I've never had an ODB2 car, so have no scan tools - i just stare into the abyss on my cars and count blinking LEDS)
  • 11-1 > right front ABS/Speed sensor. I've not been able thus far to get under it and inspect the reluctor wheel/sensor
  • Vibration at the exact point you hit 70MPH, not an instant before. Not even a warble or resonance at 65. Brand New Tires
So, not bad, but still concerning.
  1. Code - Thermostat or sensors. It has what looks like fresh coolant of the neon Green type, not hondas dark teal as shown on youtube. Not sure if they had replaced the thermostat and sensors in the past, or prior to sale, or what's going on. At the time I was not too alarmed. Probably pick up a thermostat and gasket from Honda and replace it this weekend - reset the codes, and see if this fixes the issues.
  2. I hope this is just a cable that's chaffed and worn or something and not like a reluctor tooth missing that makes me need to take the hub off the car. sensors and cables seem cheap online.
  3. I assume since the tires are all brand new they were balanced properly. Of course doesn't mean they are not out of round or something defect related. I also did not see any evidence of blown rear shocks which seems to come up a lot in my googling thus far. I also see there are issues with the rear wheel bearing and abs sensor gaskets that can allow moisture in and cause premature bearing failure. There is a slight pulsating chuffing sound from the rear that sounds like excessive brake pad deposition on the rotor...but nothing tell tale of bearings. Just eyeballing it the car seems to have maybe 1* of negative camber which to me seems excessive for a stock few car? Don't know if that's normal, my lowered rwd daily has just at 3* so not overly concerned just found that odd.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oem thermostat installed. Had a no name one then there that was way too soft and was indeed sticking open. Appears to have fixed the issues reaching temps. Used Honda coolant. Temps under normal driving stay a rock solid 188 to 192 on ect1.

front right abs sensor wire appeared to be brand new, but a replacement and code clear and 50 miles of driving the abs light never came back on.
Still could not track down the exact source of high speed vibrations- suspected tolerance stacking of bad tire balance combined with blown rear shocks.
Detailed the car waiting for it to cool off, re routed battery cables and other weird “changes” that had been made.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts