8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. I got T-boned from someone making a left hand turn and my whole passenger side was demolished. 99% probabilty that it will be classified as totaled, so I need to get a new car. After shopping around the past two days, I decided to get another Si. It looks great, fun to drive, and most importantly, financially responsible on my part.

I went to my closest Honda dealer, which luckily employs a Sales Manager that I personally know. I told him I wanted a Taffeta White Coupe Si, Nav was good with or without, same with the summer tires. He found one with summer tires and gave me the following quote. I will try to break it down as best I can remember.

Total Vehicle Cost OTD =$25,590

Car with destination = $20,600
Tax (Full Amount since I dont have trade) = $1700
Title and License = $400
Window Etching Fee = $200
Doc Fees = $350
Accessories = $2340
-Here is what I am getting for the $2340, this is with installation
-HFP Lip Kit (Front, Side, Rear)
-Window Tint
-Wheel Locks
-Door Edge Film
-Interior Guage Trim (Metal)

I haven't shopped around to see what others are willing to offer, but I e-mailed the next two dealers closest to me. I figure I can talk it down to an even $25,000 OTD, since some of the fees I don't want to pay for, like the wheel locks, Door edge film, etc. etc. Reason I am posting is that I just wanted to get an idea of what you all think about the deal. Maybe someone who bought one recently can say what they paid? Thanks in advance everone, and I will definately post the pics of my new one once I get it.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
For the most part I'd say that's about right, but then again I'd say that there are a lot of good deals to be had out there so I would milk that as much as possible. Also, if it's possible I'd wait to see what comes of this "rebate" idea for people that buy new cars and see if there's anything in particular that you would need to consider to get that rebate (if it actually goes through).

Just my .02 of course.

·
idgaf
6,952 Posts
get the accessories somewhere else or online and install HFP lip kit yourself, that will save you a grand from their over charging labor cost.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The HFP Lip Kit installed was only $1200 I believe. I would love to install it myself, but would rather get it dealer installed. Cheapest I found the Lip Kit for online, not counting ebay, was $1000. I am willing to pay $200 for the install. I know they are ripping me off on the tint, edge guard film, and the wheel locks, that is why I am going to ask fo $25,000.

·
Banned
909 Posts
wow!! i dont want to sound like a jerk, but u must be the sh!ttiest negotiator. with the way the economy is going, people arent buying that many cars; as a result, u can get great deal from the honda stealership. u are basically paying 23.5k for the civic, not included the extra mods. u should try to get it down somewhere between 20-21k(not including the extra mods). if they said no, then get up and go to a different dealership.

ps: how old are u?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't see how age is relevant in this matter. Anyway, if we are talking just the car itself, I am paying $20,600. The car invoice is $21,020. That is including destination fees. Are you saying I should be getting the car itself, tax, title, license, and fees for $20k-21k? Also, I did not negotiate at all. I wanted to see what they were going to offer me since I know the Sales Manager. I did not sign anything, or commit to anything. I have already e-mailed two other dealerships with the quote they gave me along with everything included. This is not my first car purchase, and I am not an idiot when it comes to it. I made an account and made this post just to see what people's reactions would be. I have one post so far saying things look right, and one that says I am being ripped off. Just trying to get an idea of what people's thoughts are. Not asking what people think of m negotiating skills.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Um, no offense, but even with the economy the way it is, dealerships still aren't worried about getting Si's off the lot. It's the accords, civics etc. that they want to get rid of, and are the ones you can really negotiate on. When I got mine in November, I paid 23500 otd for a base coupe no navi/summer tires, and this was the best I could find with weeks of research, and dealing with 10 dealerships in my area.

·
Banned
909 Posts
Um, no offense, but even with the economy the way it is, dealerships still aren't worried about getting Si's off the lot. It's the accords, civics etc. that they want to get rid of, and are the ones you can really negotiate on. When I got mine in November, I paid 23500 otd for a base coupe no navi/summer tires, and this was the best I could find with weeks of research, and dealing with 10 dealerships in my area.
how come?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My guess would have to do with supply and demand. Some economics thing that I learned in High School.

·
Banned
909 Posts
I don't see how age is relevant in this matter. Anyway, if we are talking just the car itself, I am paying $20,600. The car invoice is $21,020. That is including destination fees. Are you saying I should be getting the car itself, tax, title, license, and fees for $20k-21k? Also, I did not negotiate at all. I wanted to see what they were going to offer me since I know the Sales Manager. I did not sign anything, or commit to anything. I have already e-mailed two other dealerships with the quote they gave me along with everything included. This is not my first car purchase, and I am not an idiot when it comes to it. I made an account and made this post just to see what people's reactions would be. I have one post so far saying things look right, and one that says I am being ripped off. Just trying to get an idea of what people's thoughts are. Not asking what people think of m negotiating skills.
yes.

and no, invoice isnt 21k. its less than 20k. sounds to me that manager is ripping u off

·
Banned
909 Posts
my car (2005 corolla S) was supposed to be over $17k not including taxes and fees and i got it for $17,000 FLAT OTD (including taxes and fees). and this was back in 05.......

u just have to negotiate

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where are you getting your invoice number from? Here is the link of where I came up with mine.

2009 Honda Civic optional equipment at Edmunds

Just pick a color and enter your zip code to see the MSRP, Invoice, and TMV.

That is great you got your car with such a great deal. You are comparing apples to oranges though. If you were to say you bought an 09 Civic Si last month for 20k out the door, then you have more validity.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are forgetting about the destination charge. I am getting it for $20,600 even after the destination charge.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The price does seem a little high (numberwise) but like they say, buy something you won't regret later on. Pay a little extra. I'm not too great with cars so I'd prefer dealer do the install on the kit and such. If you are comfortable with 25000 otd, go for it. But it doesn't hurt to try looking around. Economy is in the dumps and dealers have to make their quotas. SI's were hard to get when I was shopping in May 08. 3 dealers by me told me they had to look for an SI because they didn't have any on the lot. They were also tryin to charge me a lot. I was able to get a dealer down to 20250 for the car (w/ destination, 22.3k otd) for the base stock w/ floor mats. So if you want that all, 25k otd isn't too bad imo.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The HFP Lip Kit installed was only $1200 I believe. I would love to install it myself, but would rather get it dealer installed. Cheapest I found the Lip Kit for online, not counting ebay, was $1000. I am willing to pay $200 for the install. I know they are ripping me off on the tint, edge guard film, and the wheel locks, that is why I am going to ask fo $25,000.
$2340 (accessories) - $1200 (HFP kit installed) = $1140 (tint, wheel locks, door edge film, interior trim). it seems you might have been quoted a little high. you might as well tell them to take off the doc fees and window etching. save you another $550.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
oh well...the dealership needs to have buyers like this to rip off to stay in business...a sucker is born every minute.

·
Registered
363 Posts
What the hell is a window etching fee? My 09 was a little over 21K OTD. And I thought that was a good deal but some people have been even getting better than that. It came with wheel locks, mud guards, sunroof visor on the house. I don't think you'll be able to do business with that place

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where in me posts does it say that I purchased the car? I didn't even sign their sell sheet. Does that make me a sucker? The price they quoted me was the 1st number they came at me with. I didn't even haggle over anything. When I got home, I e-mailed two dealers with what I was offered, and made this post. So far, both dealers have e-mailed me saying they can beat the price. I will play off that for awhile. The reason I posted here is to get everyone's reaction.

Southernace, can you explain everything the 21k OTD got you. You mentioned the accessories they threw in, but is that including the car price with tax, title, and license? Also, did you have a trade in that made your tax less?

I do know the $25k OTD is high, and I was hoping to see responses like Tongman's. Means my gut feeling was right. Also Tongman, you should go to your local community college and take some reading courses. Your comprehension is way below your age.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts