8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 09 civic si and am looking to start modding it. I have decided on a AEM ram air instead of a CAI and think im going to get a greddy exhaust system. I am stationed in Cali now, so i will have to take a smog test in about 4-5 years and im not sure if i should put headers on because most of the headers i see eliminate the Cat Converter which would fail a smog test. I also DONT have the money right now for a greddy turbo system, so thats kinda out of the question right now. Any suggestions? thanks

stew

·
Registered
363 Posts
Why not buy some rims and save your money for a turbo. Those mods aren't going to give give you much and could even void your warranty if something happens to the engine.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Why not buy some rims and save your money for a turbo. Those mods aren't going to give give you much and could even void your warranty if something happens to the engine.
They won't void your warranty unless it can be proven that mod was the cause of any problems, and intake and exhaust are never going to do that unless you suck up water with a CAI.

I would personally just tint your windows at first and get to know your car for a few months, then start with some light mods like intake and exhaust, I highly recommended a TWM short shifter and NST pulleys (pulleys are a bit controversial on this forum but I love them).

·
Registered
153 Posts
First off, Welcome to the site, and congrats on the new purchase.
1)AEM is CARB legal so its a good route to go, especially if your very concerned about smog. Also, If you are stationed in a part of Cali where it rains alot, it is advised that you do not get a CAI due to hydrolocking.
2)If you can find them, go with DC headers. DC was bought out but sometimes you can find their headers around the site. they are also C.A.R.B. legal.
3)Any exhaust will do just fine, its just a matter of what you prefer is.
4)If you plan to go turbo in the future your headers will NOT work, no headers will. Or should I say if you get aftermarket. The greddy kit replaces the current header setup on our cars.
5) Try using the search button because it will be easier for you to find the info you look for
6) Again, Welcome to the Ocho!

·
Premium Member
112,534 Posts
First off, Welcome to the site, and congrats on the new purchase.

2)If you can find them, go with DC headers. DC was bought out but sometimes you can find their headers around the site. they are also C.A.R.B. legal.
!
Also DC header is not carb legal. it removes the cat

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for responding so quickly. It rains enough here in Monterey, so i think a ram air is probably a smarter choice right now due to the rain. i will continue to look around and read a lot before making any decisions. Any good racing areas in the monterey/san jose area?

·
Banned
1,022 Posts
They won't void your warranty unless it can be proven that mod was the cause of any problems, and intake and exhaust are never going to do that unless you suck up water with a CAI.

I would personally just tint your windows at first and get to know your car for a few months, then start with some light mods like intake and exhaust, I highly recommended a TWM short shifter and NST pulleys (pulleys are a bit controversial on this forum but I love them).

16+ pages of nothing but positive feedback from NST pulley users...
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/bolt...hensive-thread-nst-nonstoptuning-pulleys.html

And to the OP, good luck and have fun with whatever mods you select for your car.

:thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts