8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, this is my first post here on the forums. I recently acquired a beautiful 08 Si with only 114k miles but I am debating selling it and keeping my old 88 hatch. The main reason is because of this strange noise at idle. The car doesn't make this noise at start up, only when its fully warmed up and drops to its lowest idle speed (~850 rpm). It doesn't always make this noise though and when it does make the noise, it varies in intensity. The best way I can explain the noise is a metal on metal rattle. I also can only really hear it on the inside of the car. The sound is really faint with the hood popped up, possibly because the sound of the injectors drown it out? I've put my ear against the valve cover (passenger side) and could only barely hear it. The car also has a salvage title from a slight front end collision but was professionally repaired. I'll try to post a video of the sound later if my camera can pick up the noise. I really hope I didn't buy a lemon. :poop: Any ideas on what this could be or insight on timing chain noises on these cars is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rattling noise
Link above is the rattle at it's worse. Can't even hear it under the hood, only on the interior. Car is warmed up and idling. May have to turn volume up to hear it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Honestly that doesnt sound like chain noise to me. Its too low pitched. It more sounds like a motor mount could have gone bad and is no vibrating on something. Ive not heard a sound quite like that before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly that doesnt sound like chain noise to me. Its too low pitched. It more sounds like a motor mount could have gone bad and is no vibrating on something. Ive not heard a sound quite like that before.
Yeah I think you may be right about it being a motor mount. Thanks for the response! If anyone else has an opinion I'd love to hear it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts