8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Civic DX-G
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I'm the second owner of a 2008 Civic DX-G with 218XXX KMs on the odometer. Aside from the A/C not working and the paint nearly gone it's pretty good!
I am here to learn more about my car as this is pretty modern for me. My youngest car was 27 years old.

Here are some question I have:
Are there any tips/tricks that I should know about my car?
I'm going to change the oil and fix the ac, is there anything else I should get done?
Am I able to make the stock exhaust any quieter?
Aside from the dealer are there any good places to buy parts?

·
Registered
699 Posts
1.) Not really, it's a simple car for a daily unless you have an Si.

2.) I would check the passenger engine mount if you are experiencing engine clunking when hammering the gas pedal. Check all fluid - especially the transmission fluid.

3.) The stock exhaust is quiet so you probably have an exhaust leak somewhere. I see that you are in Canada so salt can definitely eat up the metals and aluminum.

4.) I like to buy everything OEM at the dealer when I can but when parts can't be sourced there, I either go and order from a Honda Genuine Parts website or I go to 1AAuto.com where they sell lots of good parts for the 8th gen series. Their install videos are amazing on youtube.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Civic DX-G
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1.) Not really, it's a simple car for a daily unless you have an Si.

2.) I would check the passenger engine mount if you are experiencing engine clunking when hammering the gas pedal. Check all fluid - especially the transmission fluid.

3.) The stock exhaust is quiet so you probably have an exhaust leak somewhere. I see that you are in Canada so salt can definitely eat up the metals and aluminum.

4.) I like to buy everything OEM at the dealer when I can but when parts can't be sourced there, I either go and order from a Honda Genuine Parts website or I go to 1AAuto.com where they sell lots of good parts for the 8th gen series. Their install videos are amazing on youtube.
Thank you! I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can you describe the symptoms of the A/C. The most common problems are:
1. Relay goes bad under the hood.
2. HVAC controls on the dash go bad. Get a late model 2009 or newer control with the revised circuit board. I bought some at a U-Pull it junkyard for $12 each.
3. A/C clutch and clutch coil.
4. Bad Compressor.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Civic DX-G
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you describe the symptoms of the A/C. The most common problems are:
1. Relay goes bad under the hood.
2. HVAC controls on the dash go bad. Get a late model 2009 or newer control with the revised circuit board. I bought some at a U-Pull it junkyard for $12 each.
3. A/C clutch and clutch coil.
4. Bad Compressor.
When I turn it on it just blows warm air. I'll look into the common problems when I have some time. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I forgot also the last common issue is the expansion valve. If the compressor clutch is on(you can see it spinning under the hood), your not low on refrigerant and the compressor is believed to be working(check A/C pressure) on both sides but high side pressure is too high, then the expansion valve is likely bad.

·
Registered
699 Posts
When I turn it on it just blows warm air. I'll look into the common problems when I have some time. Thanks for your help!
gggplaya gave out great advice :) I fixed my warm AC issue by giving it a quick recharge with one of those advance auto refrigerant bottles with a gauge (confirmed my clutch is spinning). Mine had some refrigerant in the compressor but I gave it a bit more. If your AC Compressor is showing high pressure when the air is warm, it might need service for whatever the problem is.

·
Registered
2010 Acura CSX
33 Posts
Hi Nbwha, Welcome to the big Civic family. I would suggest you do the following for a used Civic after you got it.

1) Change engine oil and filter (best to use Synthetic engine oil and a brand name oil filter)
2) Change trans fluid (and if it is an auto change the ATF filter), I suggest using Honda's Genuine ATF fluid
3) Change brake fluid
4) Change coolant, I suggest using Honda's Genuine fluid
5) Check brake pads/ shoes disc and drum condition, repack all brake slider with new silicon lubricants and verify all rubber boots are in good conditions. Parking brake cables are known to easily seized up by all the salt used on the road during our wonderful Canadian winters, so make sure they're operating normally and is not dragging your rear brakes.
6) Check all Axle, CV joints, and steering column boots as well as tire condition
7) change your spark plugs, and clean your throttle plate (be aware there if you push your throttle plate manually, you might needed a reset of the throttle position sensor via special scan tools, or else your idle will be off. So search the forum regarding this before proceeding if you decided to do it!)

For the genuine OEM parts best to visit your local Honda dealer. There are a lot of online aftermarket parts suppliers out there. I have used Rock Auto in US and Parts Avatar in Canada.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts