8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I just would like to say hi and I recently bought an 8th gen civic to learn manual transmission and to also learn about the mechanical aspects of a car. This car has a decent amount of problems, and I would like to fix them all and truly call the car mine through modifications. I would like to challenge myself into fixing the car to 100% before my other car hits 100k miles (its at 95.6k)

Thank you in advance for helping me out and definitely will read through this forum!

Here are the list of known problems with the car that I plan to fix:

-Engine revs low when AC is turned on
-Engine overheats when idle, fans work though when ac is on though
-Lingering odors from the previous owner still in the car after thorough clean
-Going from R to 1st and vice versa grinds gears sometimes
-Rust
-Repainting will be last
Before I dive deep in the forums, anyone know any fixes to this on the top of their head, and also know any TSBs I can do for free or cheap from dealer? previous owner did not really do any maintenance, and he was a mechanic lol

I am very eager and excited to work on this car and I hope I get similar results to some of you guys on here!
image1.jpg

·
Registered
651 Posts
Welcome! I'll try to give you some advice based on what you listed.

1.) I think it's normal for the idle to fluctuate when the AC is on. I know mine likes to vibrate a bit so I always try to run the car without the AC on if possible.

2.) That doesn't sound right, I would start diagnosing that and look around for small issues. I've never had that happen on my Civic but I would check for the coolant level first.

3.) Change the Cabin Air Filter to see if the odor goes away. $10 - $15 fix.

4.) I'm not familiar with the 5-speed on this car but I would first change the manual transmission fluid (maybe someone can help me back that one up because i'm not 100% sure).

5.) I'm dealing with rust on my car right now but what I have done is grinded the surface down to bare metal with a wire wheel and later spray primer, base coat, and then clear coat (or use single stage paint to combine base and clear coat together).

6.) Call ahead and check for quotes :) Macco does paint jobs pretty cheap but I don't think their paint job lasts a long time.

7.) I don't know any TSB's open for the 8th gens right now. I know the takata airbag recall is still active (it should be, it's a safety recall).

This forum is very helpful to everyone! I hope you enjoy this place.

·
Vendor
610 Posts
Hello and welcome to the group! Nice to have you here. A lot of good info here regarding mods in case you are thinking of doing any. Check out some of the garages and you may get some ideas. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm new to the 8th gen civic too. I bought one recently that had been smoked in and my wife used a steamer on all the cloth interior. I then changed the cabin air filter and put a car scent under the seat.

There is still a vague smokey smell but it is getting better as time goes on.

As far as the overheating I would change all the radiator coolant hoses and thermostat. Then do a radiator flush and fill with 50/50 distilled water and required coolant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts