8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I wanted to replace the plugs on my SI this weekend. I got some used DENSO iridium plugs with my GReddy kit. (1 step colder,they looked pretty black) My local performance shop only carries NGK. Would anyone recomend NGK's or should I just order the same ones I have now?

Thanks, Evan

·
Registered
6,542 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
NGK makes good plugs... us R18 people have NGK's stock from the factory. I used Denso's with my turbo and thought they were great as well.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have searched and have found no straight forward answer. I got my new plugs ( denso 1 step colder ) Should I change the gap or just put em in?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey guys. I wanted to replace the plugs on my SI this weekend. I got some used DENSO iridium plugs with my GReddy kit. (1 step colder,they looked pretty black) My local performance shop only carries NGK. Would anyone recomend NGK's or should I just order the same ones I have now?

Thanks, Evan
I dont know about used DENSO Iridiums but new ones would be great for your kit, if you are planning on running the reccomended amount of boost. Iridium spark plugs have a smaller center electrode, which ultimately means less firing voltage is require, which means you are less likely to misfire.

if I'm not mistaken, Honda usually uses NGK's in their older cars (they came stock in my prelude)

You should be fine with them. I ordered 2 steps colder for my kit from

Spark plug, Spark plug wire, spark plug gap, spark plug cross reference and ignition wires at Sparkplugs.com
How much power are planning on attaining, how many lbs of boost are you running?

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
You can gap iridiums, just have to be real careful with electrode. Don't use the POS gap ring thing, use feeler gauges. Stock gap is .041 but a smaller gap is better for a turbo application. start around .035 and go smaller. I'm still trying to find some copper cores that fit our cars, if anybody has a pn for one I would be much appreciative.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You can gap iridiums, just have to be real careful with electrode. Don't use the POS gap ring thing, use feeler gauges. Stock gap is .041 but a smaller gap is better for a turbo application. start around .035 and go smaller. I'm still trying to find some copper cores that fit our cars, if anybody has a pn for one I would be much appreciative.
Why do you want coppers?

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
you can gap them easier, a lot of the serious boost guys prefer copper core. you have to replace them more often though.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
this come right from NGK's websit regarding gapping iridium plugs

Should I gap my Iridium Plugs?

The manufacturers say NO.
This is because most people do not know how to properly gap a spark plug, and the center electrodes on the ultra-fine iridium can easily snap if mishandled

1 - 20 of 24 Posts