8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i finally got most of my order in, and i couldn't wait to get it all in the car, so i rushed to get my 8" up and running. Ran it off a crossfire amp at first and then hooked up my PDX on a temp basis to listen to it. PDX = NICE. This thing is solid, small and heavy. I was unsure about how an 8" would sounds and whether i would hear the bass in the car. Let me tell you, this thing sounds SWEET!!!! Most shops told me i was wasting my money, I laugh now!!!! I can't wait to get it fully installed. I have a lot of work ahead of me. I decided to mount the amp under the driver seat. Well....i'm short, so the seat is usually somewhat forward and the amp is exposed...thats a NO NO. So i'm going to fashion a very small plate to hide it from sticky fingers. So, here's some pics and i'll add a lot more tomorrow when i finish up more of the install. Still waiting on my sound deadening, so i'll have to install the front components later. BTW, crimping 4 gauge sucked, I don't know how you guys do 1/0!

OLD and NEW

The fashioned faceplate

The minis!!

·
Registered
897 Posts
lostdaytomorrow said:
Crimping 0/1 awg = flathead screwdriver + hammer
:yeahthat:

Or putting it between my ex's legs. She could close them so tight nothing would get past them...so I'm sure you could crimp ANY gauge with them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Be careful with that sub. I had a polk momo a few years ago and toasted it in less than a day. I wasn't even really pushing it to hard. I hope they made changes to it since than.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Very nice man, it looks good. Hopefully I get to install my amp and sub this weekend, 8" Kicker sub, installing it in the stock factory location, I'm still waiting on the amp, bought it off a mamber here. What's the rating on the amp and sub BTW?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
the PDX4.100 has a rating of 100watts x 4 or 200Watts x 2 RMS Bridged.
So i'm running channels 1 and 2, and bridgeing 3 & 4 for the sub.

the polk 8" has an rating of 200Watts RMS.

These alpine amps are slightly under-rated. The cert on mine says 4x117. I've seen some members that have 4x125. LUCKY.

As far as blowing one out in a day, nice work man :) Any details you wanna share. I've been known to do somethings i later regret too!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Crimping large wire = bench vise. FTW!

Glad you like the set up.

As for the amp ratings. Mine pdx 4.100 is 4.x128. My pdx 4.150 says 4x168. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As promised, here are more pics. I'm done for now. I'll play around with the sub placement, but more likely then not, it'll stay where it is.

Battery Connection. I am so proud of this.

Under the seat.

Stealth!!

I might have some issues with heat. Although the cover only covers a fraction of the amp, under the seat with a heater vent could spell trouble. Lucky for me, this amp has very good thermal protection and i won't be pushing it too hard anyway.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had an MTX Amp that was around 600 watts RMS. Now I had the gain turned down and only wanted the sub for sound quality and a well balanced system. But the voice coil got burnt up by the end of the day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its sounds awesome. I love it. I am still giving it time to break in though.
If the extra wire is the RED wires in the trunk, thats just a messy trunk with the pulled 8 gauge I removed. If you are talking about the purple wire, thats extra length speaker wire while i figure out where I'm going to locate the sub. Easier to move around with lots of extra length. I'm running 4 gauge, since thats what Alpine said to run. I was tempted to stick with 8 gauge, since based on my calculations, i would be fine (400 watts, 60amps fuses, short run) but 4 gauge doesn't look so wimpy, and well, ALPINE is smarter than me! The sub is an 8".

BTW, 600Watts RMS, yikes! But still, if you didn't push it, it shouldn't have had too much heat right? Probably defective. Did it have a yellow momo stamp on the front? I've heard those had "issues".

·
Registered
837 Posts
Nice work! I always say don't listen to those clowns; a good quality 8" with good power should sound great.

Q for ya: Is that as far forward as the amp will fit under the seat? I was hoping to install my amp there, but it's not gonna be that small. Now I'm worried it won't fit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice work! I always say don't listen to those clowns; a good quality 8" with good power should sound great.

Q for ya: Is that as far forward as the amp will fit under the seat? I was hoping to install my amp there, but it's not gonna be that small. Now I'm worried it won't fit.
Yup. There is a vent that blocks it a little. You could cut it if you really wanted to and push it up another inch. Also, the way the power is connected to the amp at a 45 degree angle causes it to be pushed out about an inch too. Remember, i'm short. 5'5". If I were 6'2", i doubt anyone would see the amp at all. I know there were only two 4 channel amps that I thought would fit under the seat well, one is any PDX amp, the other was the sony XM-1S or XM-4S. Sony is even smaller then the PDX. I've heard that sony amps suck, but i've heard this from someone who heard this from someone who heard this from a friend who actually heard a sony amp. :) With two channel amps, you have more options, but everything is a tight squeeze.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts