8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

just picked up a clean 07 LX manual coupe over the weekend. Wanted to get back into a stick and a civic is fun and reliable.

a few things I noticed.. its 145k and assuming on original clutch

when you get up to speed in mostly 4th and 5th gear there is this weird whine/ flutter noise.. Clutch does not seem to slip or pop out of gear. is it on it's last leg? is it more a tranny issue or clutch you think?

want to do a full suspension overhaul, tuneup (ngk plugs) VC gasket.

will the suspension from SI work? are the shocks and struts better than LX version, assuming less rebound etc.. if not I will get some Tokico blue.

need a little TLC.. looking forward to the small projects cept clutch if need be.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm more inclined to think tire, wheel bearing, or final drive in that order. I suppose a "flutter" could be a half shaft as well, but I'm not betting on it. If it's only 4th and 5th, and not the other gears at similar rpm that means it's going to be post gearbox so the clutch is definitely out. Have you checked your tire wear patterns? How about your MTF level/cleanliness? A wheel bearing is USUALLY going to be louder when you turn one way than the other. Those are the 3 things I would check first. I've never had an R18 so there may be a more obvious answer from someone who has, but generally that's where I would start

1 - 2 of 2 Posts