8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just became a registered member after sulking around for three days on the forum. I got my license two weeks ago and just been driving Auto Transmission during my driving career. I'm hoping to get a Civic by the end of this month.

Might not be the place for this but I was wondering if I should be learning how to drive Manual Transmission this early? Because I've been considering to get my car in manual. I live in NYC as well, would that be best for a nubbie driver?

Thanks for any help. :box:

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
welcome to the ocho

i've never been to NYC..but i would imagine there is a lot of stop and go...if that is the case i would say go with the auto tranny

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
lazih3nri said:
Hey guys, just became a registered member after sulking around for three days on the forum. I got my license two weeks ago and just been driving Auto Transmission during my driving career. I'm hoping to get a Civic by the end of this month.

Might not be the place for this but I was wondering if I should be learning how to drive Manual Transmission this early? Because I've been considering to get my car in manual. I live in NYC as well, would that be best for a nubbie driver?

Thanks for any help. :box:
Welcome to the site. I think manual is the only way to go and there's no such thing as too early or being too young to learn. Unless you're stuck in traffic for hours a day, it makes driving a much more enjoyable experience. You'll probably kick yourself for not getting stick. Be warned! My first car was automatic and I would totally drool when my friends drove stick.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Yodums said:
Welcome to the site. I think manual is the only way to go and there's no such thing as too early or being too young to learn. Unless you're stuck in traffic for hours a day, it makes driving a much more enjoyable experience. You'll probably kick yourself for not getting stick. Be warned! My first car was automatic and I would totally drool when my friends drove stick.

Exactly.
I even drove MT 2 weeks BEFORE I got my license.
My dad was teaching me :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yodums said:
What about the problem with stalling? My friend makes it a big deal on the issue. How tricky is it really? I'm just afraid of maybe some traffic jams once or twice a week. I go from Brooklyn to Manhattan two to three times a week and it's like a 45 minute drive on the BQE.

I just don't want to be bored with driving. Stop & Go buttons seem boring as hell.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Pfft, stalling happens, that's all. Just push the clutch back in and start it up again. In heavy traffic, I would be out of gear when stopped, and only move forward when there's almost a car length ahead of me...makes for less time I'm using the clutch.

It's not like your car will blow up if you stall. It is frustrating though. The only place I wouldn't drive stick is places like Metro San Francisco and the like...NY doesn't seem too bad, it's mostly flat. SF is just hills and hills in the main city. Eugh.

I learned to drive stick when I was 23. :D

·
They Call me Kobe!
11,510 Posts
welcome to the site. like me i really want to learn manual as well and i wanted mien to be manual but then my brother wouldnt allow me to drive manual yet so a have to wait until i get my full license. i think it would be better off for you to get manual because sometimes when im driving its really boring and it can sometimes make you feel sleepy when you go on rush hour. so i think driving a stick can make you stay awake even though its a hassle during rush hour.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
lazih3nri said:
What about the problem with stalling? My friend makes it a big deal on the issue. How tricky is it really? I'm just afraid of maybe some traffic jams once or twice a week. I go from Brooklyn to Manhattan two to three times a week and it's like a 45 minute drive on the BQE.

I just don't want to be bored with driving. Stop & Go buttons seem boring as hell.
Stalling is just going to be part of the learning process. Everyone who's ever going to learn stick will have to face it. It's no big deal. The only time you should be stalling is starting from a stop. Otherwise, you may slip the clutch excessively or lug the engine really bad while it's moving. It still shouldn't stall once the car has picked up some speed though.

I'm sure you have at least one friend who knows how to drive stick, preferably relatively well and knows the basic mechanics of it. I'd have them ride shotgun with you and they will easily point out your mistakes. Finding out what you did wrong while trying to learn is never easy. Just have someone who knows tell you. You'll save time and your transmission that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts