8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first time driving a hybrid today. The malibu rides fine enough for a family transport vehicle, but man it's weird to drive a hybrid for the first time.

Every damn stoplight, the engine cuts out so it feels like I just stalled. I look down, there's 2 pedals, and the gear lever's a straight line. It took a couple minutes to go from WTF! to "just grin and get back to the office" :laughing:

To top it off, I checked the malibu's est mpg, it was 25:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Go go civic lx, higher fuel economy and no damned stalling feelings :dancing:

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
first time driving a hybrid today. The malibu rides fine enough for a family transport vehicle, but man it's weird to drive a hybrid for the first time.

Every damn stoplight, the engine cuts out so it feels like I just stalled. I look down, there's 2 pedals, and the gear lever's a straight line. It took a couple minutes to go from WTF! to "just grin and get back to the office" :laughing:

To top it off, I checked the malibu's est mpg, it was 25:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Go go civic lx, higher fuel economy and no damned stalling feelings :dancing:
civics did better than that in 85, with carbs, and it was no hybrid...

I think the funniest new hybrid is the suburban it gets under 20 mpg...

now there is something to brag about...

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm confused, i was trying to look up some info to back GM up cause i really do like GM alot. Like i said,i'm confused:

2.4L
169 HP
22 city 30 hwy MPG

2.4L Hybrid
164 HP
24 city 32 hwy MPG

Umm...... wtf?
2 mpg! Plus the engine shutoff/restart every stoplight! :dancing::dancing::dancing:

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Even many people on the GM forum I frequent feel the same way about the Malibu Hybrid.

However, it is worth noting that the Malibu Hybrid is not going to be available in most states, unless you live in the east or the west. The Midwest won't be getting any for the time being, not sure why.

As for the SUV hybrids, the highway mileage isn't where the increase is, to be honest, it's the city driving. My mother has a TrailBlazer and she's lucky to break 12-15 in the city if she's lucky.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
The only real cheap hybrid that delivers excellent mileage is the Escape hybrid its cheap,but also low on power and i would not buy it. My friend wanted one but bought a CRV instead. GM needs to do more R&D on their hybrids,i mean 20-28 MPG on a GM hybrid? thats sad and pathetic. The Civic non hybrid gets better mileage than that!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Why on Earth would someone buy a hybrid that gets the same mileage as the non-hybrid model? That wonderful engineering is why GM is such a good company.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
I think the new Malibu looks nice. Much better than the Accord
Nah but it is better than the boring ass Camry though. Here are the best rated mid size cars. 1. Nissan Altima. 2. Mazda6. 3. Accord. 4. Malibu. 5. Sonata. 6. Camry. The camry looks like a cheap toy or play thing and looks boring as hell thats why it scored dead last not to mention spartan and vanilla interior with crap quality materials. Toyota should of brought the Aurion over but oh well. Toyota has such a boring ass lineup. I think Toyota doesn't really give a **** about their quality anymore much less their reputation,which is now so dangerously low that many magazines and editors knocked them down hard core. I mean Tundra failures within the first month of the truck coming to market? and the Camry with its flawed transmission? i'd rather have a Titan which is better a built truck. Nissan has very high quality built cars and an awesome reputation and awesome reliability. Honda on the other hand needs to focus on their quality and reputation as well which is still good but slowly slipping. Mazda is doing really good with high quality cars and reliablility. Suzuki don't even go there lol they can build bikes but they sure as hell cant build cars. Mitsubishi's quality is poor as with their reputation. GM is doing pretty good but they are still struggling with quality. Fords European cars have good quality but the Fords in America desperately need help. Dodge has very poor build quality interiors and poorly built vehicles.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
The Aveo's mileage is actually rather comperable to the Fit, and the Cobalt, depending on the engine is pretty efficient. It's no R18, but then again, they have more horsepower.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I was more pointing out the fact that they engineered a car that is supposed to get better gas mileage than the regular model and they accomplished 1 mpg.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Haha, my mother and a turban. Naaah.

In other news, I saw a new Malibu today. I have to say I am very, very impressed. It looks much nicer in person, and it already looks nice. The back has a very nice look to it, even though I know that most people hate it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The gas mileage on a Malibu hybrid is pretty lackluster, but the hybrid system also costs a lot less than a Camry or Altima hybrid. It's a much less advanced system. Edmunds did a comparison of the Aura (same platform as the Malibu), Camry, and Altima hybrids which explains the different systems. The electric motor in the Aura is basically just enough to let the engine shut off at traffic lights. Because there's so much less technology behind it, the Aura hybrid is about 3k less than a Camry hybrid.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I think the new Malibu looks nice. Much better than the Accord
I disagree. The Malibu looks much, much, much nicer and upscale than the 08' Accord.:thumb:

I saw three different trims (LS, LTZ and LT) of the new Malibu up close and was very impressed. I think GM has a lot to be proud of.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I mean the aveo vs the fit/yaris and cobalt vs civic/corolla.
Take the Fit out of there. Its not well geared to get comparable mileage to the Yaris.

As for the other 3 the engines range from 2.2L chevy to 1.8L Toyota/Honda. The more powerful engine is the lesser on economy.

Seems to be an American car thing. More powerful engines than comparable economy cars from overseas. Has its downsides.

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
I disagree. The Malibu looks much, much, much nicer and upscale than the 08' Accord.:thumb:

I saw three different trims (LS, LTZ and LT) of the new Malibu up close and was very impressed. I think GM has a lot to be proud of.
I disagree.
Saw one at the gas station. Owner let me see the interior and it is the same interior as the 06 accord but painted and steering wheel buttons the same as the old nissan altimas (the ones that were completely redesigned (04-06?).
It has a two-toned leather if you buy the V6.
Motortrend praised it as being the best of the best and it's only disadvantage over the japanese cars was the 14mpg they achieved. Edmunds says malibu's on the same level as the accord.
Comparing V6 with V6, real time driving had the accord EX-L achieve 22mpg whereas the Malibu LTZ achieved 15 mpg.
Accord was faster on the 1/4 of a mile and 0-60 acceleration as well as the breaks.
Motortrend rated them as follows: #1 Camry #2 Malibu (no idea how it even made it to second) #3 accord #4 Altima
It shouldve been like this though #1 Accord or Altima #3 Camry #4 Malibu.
Malibu's a nice car but it isn't cutting it. And to people that say it has a nice styling, wtf are you smoking?
See the difference with real-life pictures?
Photoshopped (OMFG THAT LOOKS HOTT!!!)

And here's the car (ehhh yeah not for me...)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts