8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im more then likely going to be left ordering a si without navi.
I was doing a little looking around and saw a few systems but i dont know much about audio and what not.
WHat im looking for is a dash unit that has a screen as big as the oem,
plays dvdrw,tv,cdrw,ipod, has a easy to use navigation system.
with points of interest(gas,atm,hospital,restaurants etc etc)
has voice guidance,
and a hookup for 2 more screens and a playstation or xbox 360
I want to be able to watch movies while moving
and if possible i want it to be a all in one unit,
and mount just like the oem navi.
price to come in somewhere around the stock unit pricing..
Thanks for anyones help.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
webby said:
so, a flip screen type is not going to help you? You want it molded into that spot?
yea i want one that has a 6.5 screen that sits flush like that factory one.
Ive seen a few models but im not sure if its what im really looking for.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
DeezSi06 said:
Well im more then likely going to be left ordering a si without navi.
I was doing a little looking around and saw a few systems but i dont know much about audio and what not.
WHat im looking for is a dash unit that has a screen as big as the oem,
plays dvdrw,tv,cdrw,ipod, has a easy to use navigation system.
with points of interest(gas,atm,hospital,restaurants etc etc)
has voice guidance,
and a hookup for 2 more screens and a playstation or xbox 360
I want to be able to watch movies while moving
and if possible i want it to be a all in one unit,
and mount just like the oem navi.
price to come in somewhere around the stock unit pricing..
Thanks for anyones help.
You're not going to find a brand new unit with all of these features for $1700. At the least, most are going for $2200. Look into the Eclipse AVN2454. By now, you should be able to find them online from authorized retailers underneath its $2199 MSRP. That Pioneer D2 she linked doesn't physically play DVD's, however it can display DVDs with an external DVD player. Pioneers are the hardest to by-pass, IMHO. They're not THAT hard, but if you don't want to void the manufacturer's warranty, or if you purchase it from an unauthorized reseller, you're probably more audio inclined than the average person and don't care if it breaks cuz it was cheap enough to replace. I know you already said you don't know much about audio, but here's a word of caution:

These types of units can be REALLY expensive. If you choose to purchase audio equipment from an unauthorized dealer, your warranty will automatically be voided and you will have to go through the reseller for fixes. This is what happened to me. I payed $750 less for my Pioneer D1 than MSRP for a brand new (not refurbed) unit and the first one I installed was faulty. I sent it back, they sent me a new one. I installed it myself. If you buy it from and authorized dealer (Best Buy, Circuit City, a licensed car audio shop, etc), and have them install it for you, the manufacturer will give you a 3 year warranty. If not, you'll only get a one year. I live in Vermont for school, where temperatures drop well below 0 degrees and I have yet to have a problem with my D1. The problem I DID have, was minor and no fault of Pioneer or the D1 itself. I was in Montreal for the weekend and I was trying to use XM and signals crossed causing the navi to run backwards, as if I'm in reverse when I'm really going forward. The reason being, Canada doesn't support XM yet. I didn't know this at the time, but I know it now.

I know I overexplained, but I've got experience in this department and I believe knowledge should be passed so that you get the best deal. If you're willing to pay the extra money for a brand new unit, you should invest in the Pioneer Z1. It has everything you're looking for and more, included an optional Bluetooth adapter and voice recognition.

http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/pioneer_avic-z1_all-in-one_navigation_system.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
skittleslegend said:
You're not going to find a brand new unit with all of these features for $1700. At the least, most are going for $2200. Look into the Eclipse AVN2454. By now, you should be able to find them online from authorized retailers underneath its $2199 MSRP. That Pioneer D2 she linked doesn't physically play DVD's, however it can display DVDs with an external DVD player. Pioneers are the hardest to by-pass, IMHO. They're not THAT hard, but if you don't want to void the manufacturer's warranty, or if you purchase it from an unauthorized reseller, you're probably more audio inclined than the average person and don't care if it breaks cuz it was cheap enough to replace. I know you already said you don't know much about audio, but here's a word of caution:

These types of units can be REALLY expensive. If you choose to purchase audio equipment from an unauthorized dealer, your warranty will automatically be voided and you will have to go through the reseller for fixes. This is what happened to me. I payed $750 less for my Pioneer D1 than MSRP for a brand new (not refurbed) unit and the first one I installed was faulty. I sent it back, they sent me a new one. I installed it myself. If you buy it from and authorized dealer (Best Buy, Circuit City, a licensed car audio shop, etc), and have them install it for you, the manufacturer will give you a 3 year warranty. If not, you'll only get a one year. I live in Vermont for school, where temperatures drop well below 0 degrees and I have yet to have a problem with my D1. The problem I DID have, was minor and no fault of Pioneer or the D1 itself. I was in Montreal for the weekend and I was trying to use XM and signals crossed causing the navi to run backwards, as if I'm in reverse when I'm really going forward. The reason being, Canada doesn't support XM yet. I didn't know this at the time, but I know it now.

I know I overexplained, but I've got experience in this department and I believe knowledge should be passed so that you get the best deal. If you're willing to pay the extra money for a brand new unit, you should invest in the Pioneer Z1. It has everything you're looking for and more, included an optional Bluetooth adapter and voice recognition.

http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/pioneer_avic-z1_all-in-one_navigation_system.html

i thought the Pioneer did play dvd's. It said it had seperate CD and DVD-ROM slots. Doesnt the DVD-ROM play dvds, well at least on the computer they do lol.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
ladibugzdts said:
i thought the Pioneer did play dvd's. It said it had seperate CD and DVD-ROM slots. Doesnt the DVD-ROM play dvds, well at least on the computer they do lol.
Nope. The DVD-ROM drive is Data only. I wish there was a mod you could do, but it's not that big of a deal. I had the dvd player in there and honestly, I never used it while the car was in motion, even when I had passengers. One thing I did do however, is the modification to unlock the Video while when moving, but I didn't do it necessarily for the video. There is supposedly a lockout when the parking brake is down that doesn't allow you to input information into the address book. Makes sense because it would take your eyes away from the road. But it can be a pain because it also means my passenger can't enter information for me. Plus, it didn't cost me a thing but 5 minutes of my time to do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts