8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Civic EX Sedan Auto
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, just registered on this forum as I am now a Honda Civic owner as of last week. It’s a 2006 Civic EX Sedan automatic. The car seems to have been very well maintained and looks and runs perfectly. As a new owner what should be the first things to address or look into? I plan on meticulously maintaining this car while documenting everything. Any common troubles I might confront before they happen? Thank you all for your contributions to the forum, I’ll be pouring over them in the days/weeks to come! Thanks again!
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Wheel Car

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Congrats on the car!! We both have the same exact year and trim car and here is my advice:
  • Drain and fill the transmission fluid if its brown colored (don't change if its black and burnt). Use the genuine Honda DW-1 fluid.
  • Swap the basic air filters (cabin and engine)
  • Oil change every year or 5k miles (follow the "orange wrench" light on the speedo dash)
  • Not sure on mileage but if you are over 150k, expect all 4 shocks to be blown (bad handling is a first tell sign + bounces on bumps)
Solid car! Just keep up on the maintenance.

·
Registered
2006 Civic EX Sedan Auto
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on the car!! We both have the same exact year and trim car and here is my advice:
  • Drain and fill the transmission fluid if its brown colored (don't change if its black and burnt). Use the genuine Honda DW-1 fluid.
  • Swap the basic air filters (cabin and engine)
  • Oil change every year or 5k miles (follow the "orange wrench" light on the speedo dash)
  • Not sure on mileage but if you are over 150k, expect all 4 shocks to be blown (bad handling is a first tell sign + bounces on bumps)
Solid car! Just keep up on the maintenance.
Will check these all this week. The car has 162k and feels/handles like new. It’s been well cared for. Out of curiosity, if the tran fluid did happen to be black and I am not to change it what then? Will keep you posted. Thx for the info!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I would still change the atf even if it's black. If it is black or burnt I would recommend 3 drain/refills with a week or more between changes.

In addition you should check the brake fluid, power steering fluid and coolant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts