8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, im new to the civic scene (coming from a 2000 v6 mustang) but im really leaning towards picking up the 09 si. I drove a sedan at the dealership yesterday and from my experience it was pretty fun to drive. It didnt have the torque that my current mustang does, but I really fell in love the feel of the gearing of the transmission. Quick and tight is a blast and the steering and handeling is leagues apart from the mustang as well. I didnt think the mustang was as sloppy in the corners as it truely is....

Anyway, how does the coupe compare? I love the styling of the coupe, but I perfer 4 door. Other than the weight differece and the price tag, is there anything mechanically different? What kind of issues do the 09's have compared to the 06+ 3rd gear issue and rev hang?

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
TBH man with 2009/2010 shaping up the way they are....you have so many better options either on the way or out that the Si's are really falling LEAGUES behind the competition.

The sheer fact theres no factory turbo is devestating.

Don't rush into the purchase without testing out the competition...

Specifically the 3 year running champ for under 30,000 the Mazdaspeed 3.

You'll get your torque back, room, one of the best engines ever built for its class...and speed...a lot of speed.

There's also the 370z coming out which puts any remaining 350z's likely on clearance soon.

Challenger RT - though it eats gas looks so sexy

Hyundai Genesis Coupe coming out ...I know Hyundai but with their current "1 year guarenttee in this economy" thing its almost a no brainer to give them a look.

The 2010 Mustangs also shaping up to be a doozy.

As is the camaro coming out...the G8 GXP from Pontiac also nice.

I hate VW but the GTI is stylish on the interior.

Cobalt SS/TC also puts down some insane numbers.

And my personal favorite the Impreza WRX 2009 (with all the fixes they did) is a ROCKET. VERY Fast for its class.

So just go slow theres TONS of options out right now for under 30,000. Especially the ones with Factory Turbos.

IMO go out and test drive the Impreza WRX and Mazdaspeed 3....Then come back to the Si if you still feel it...then go for it.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
the sedan has a slightly better weight distribution of 60/40 compared to the coupes 61/39. the sedan also sits a little taller than the coupe. other than that basically the same car. The 09's are mostly problem free, including the infamous 3rd gear. However, i assume the DBW on the 09's is the same as the previous years, and it causes delayed throttle response and lag.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
i 100% agree with the first post, the si is very fun ... but after the first few months you may regret it , if i could do it again i would have went with either a gti, wrx, or mazdaspeed3

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have a coupe, but honestly the performance difference between the sedan and coupe is so small that it would not be noticeable and any variable at all would throw off a comparison. The sedan is slightly heavier, and sits up a little taller but thats about it. I personally like the coupe front better but the sedan back better. If I had purchased the car new I probably would have purchased a fiji blue sedan.

As someone above posted, there are a lot of other options out there. I personally would take the time and check into the ones you might have interest in. The Cobalt SS/TC does have some crazy performance stats. I'm pessimistic about GM products, and I didn't care much for the exterior/interior styling.

The 09 WRX seems ridiculously nice, in fact I was really close to trading in to get an 09 WRX recently. The only hold back is the higher payments and likely higher insurance. Also the WRX will only get about 20-22 mpg and I can get 27-29 very steadily in my car.

In my opinion, personal review of my car (06 Si) I love the handling and styling. The car is very solid, and even with the 3rd gear issues I still think the transmission is far superior to that of what I had in my 02 WRX and 2.5 RS Subaru's. The shifter feel is great, and the lack of torque is something that you can learn to live with.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
09 Coupe vs 09 sedan? Sedan all the way, from a coupe guy.... plus 09 the Sedans are sick looking, as for 09 Wrx, those revised models are so sick. I would definitely be looking into one of those.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
TBH man with 2009/2010 shaping up the way they are....you have so many better options either on the way or out that the Si's are really falling LEAGUES behind the competition.

The sheer fact theres no factory turbo is devestating.

Don't rush into the purchase without testing out the competition...

Specifically the 3 year running champ for under 30,000 the Mazdaspeed 3.

You'll get your torque back, room, one of the best engines ever built for its class...and speed...a lot of speed.

There's also the 370z coming out which puts any remaining 350z's likely on clearance soon.

Challenger RT - though it eats gas looks so sexy

Hyundai Genesis Coupe coming out ...I know Hyundai but with their current "1 year guarenttee in this economy" thing its almost a no brainer to give them a look.

The 2010 Mustangs also shaping up to be a doozy.

As is the camaro coming out...the G8 GXP from Pontiac also nice.

I hate VW but the GTI is stylish on the interior.

Cobalt SS/TC also puts down some insane numbers.

And my personal favorite the Impreza WRX 2009 (with all the fixes they did) is a ROCKET. VERY Fast for its class.

So just go slow theres TONS of options out right now for under 30,000. Especially the ones with Factory Turbos.

IMO go out and test drive the Impreza WRX and Mazdaspeed 3....Then come back to the Si if you still feel it...then go for it.
Sorry for quoting but was all this necessary?? All he wanted to know were the differences between the coupe and sedan, he didn't ask for persuasion to buy a different car

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
he was just giving him the heads up as a fellow si owner no big deal, i wish i had known what i do now when i got my si cuz i woulda got something different, i assumed there would be a whole lot of mods and big power gains and its been the opposite ... a little heads up never hurt anyone

·
Premium Member
26,381 Posts
Welcome. Test drive and choose what suits you best! There are a lot of excellent cars out there in the same price range as the Si. I have always been a huge Mazda fangirl and debated a long time between the MS3 and the Si. The Si ended up being the best option for me at this time (as you can tell since I'm in this forum. :giggle:.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
welcome 2 8th homie. i would go wit the 09 si sedan. thats just my personal opinon, but also i dont reli lyke the colors the the 09's come in. i think that they should have kept the old colors. but im just sayin its a great car u should consider it

·
idgaf
6,952 Posts
si sedan - jdm parts, jdm conversions, more room, 2 more doors, etc.

·
Registered
628 Posts
the 09 sedans look better than the 06-08s but unless your gonna do a conversion and u have kids then id go with the coupe i just like the styling better. i dont wanna be drivin a family sedan around lol

·
Registered
957 Posts
bro sedan is FTW!! coupe is way too plain for me FTL.. sorry :eek:) if you like the Si then you should get one.. who cares if there are turbo charged cars out there around the same price as an Si.. its really how you feel about the car.. isnt it? i dont care what anyone says.. "ohhh Si needs to come up with TC engine to go compete with rest of the SC/TC cars"... for what? i mean seriously.. are you or did we buy an Si to get out there and race? if any of us thought about really street racing and beat all in class.. then should have thought hard about MS3 or WRX... for me i bought the car because when i saw it i fell in love... everything about it was amazing.. inside and out.. sound was beautifull.. Si is not the fastest or etc.. but if you want speed after awhile just save your money from any mods and put in a small turbo and see what an Si can do with TC.. i tell you man.. VTEC+TC is SEX!!! but i rather keep it safe as N/A + mods i have..

·
Registered
628 Posts
the question is what do u need a 4dr or can u use a 2dr? what looks better to u, and what u think will look better to other ppl. thats why i got the 2dr haha

1 - 20 of 49 Posts