8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I've blown my engine, honda won't pay because they say I ran it out of oil, although My car has not needed oil between oil changes thus far and I have 30% oil life left but none the less I did appeal this and got no were so I need to buy a new engine ASAP as the rental car bills are adding up.

I would lie to do something kool, but I have limited mechanical skills so anything that requires machining or fabricating is out of the question.

Is it possible to get a JDM civic type R k20z3 motor and have it dropped in and if so how would I get the motor?

Alternatively, I've asked about the K20/24 hybrid or swap but I also don't know who to contact for this option, and im not up for building an engine my self.

Personally, I like the K20z3 JDM option, I wish I knew how to put my hands on a new JDM motor, any thoughts......

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
The jdm motor is a K20A not a Z3. that's only in north america. I think it might be in europe but I know that it's not in Japan. and our cars will not run that motor because we have a MAF sensor and the JDM K20A doesn't. With the fact that our ECU also controls the entire dashboard display you couldnt even use Kpro unless you wanted to build a custom dash with all custom guages. otherwise you're stuck with the Z3 motor. There is a guy on here that did the Frankenstien swap. The K24 short block with our head on it and he said it's awesome. He's also using the factory ECU and he says it works fine. But he didn't check the AFR's as of yet. so you could use the K24 block. And I believe that AEM is also close to getting the F/IC working on our cars.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I thought that was the K20A2 in the RSX-S. Or is that the 02-04 RSX-S?
correct...

Quote from:

k20z1 VS k20a - Team Integra

K20a is the J-spec ITR/CTR motor.

In australia the ITR uses a k20a2 and in europe the CTR has a k20a2 as well. So there's 2 different kind of Type-R motors...j-spec and non J-spec.

Differences between a z1 and a1 are...

-cams are different on ALL motors. K20a has itr cams (obivously) K20z1 has their own cams that are better then k20a2 cams but not as good as ITR cams and k20a2 cames have Type-S cams (obivously).

The cams in a k20z1 are in between a a1 and a2...but a1 cams are SO mild of a upgrade over a2 cams that z1 cams are even less. They're better cams then the a2 motor but by a extremely SMALL amount, ITR cams > z1. They're different cams...they have different part #'s.

-Bolt ons: K20z1 has a ITR snorkel and catback...that's it. It does NOT have a ITR intake manifold which everyone seems to think they do, nor does it have the header, downpipe and cat. K20a,a2,z1 all have the same throttle body. The k20a3 found in the 02-05 EP3 has a z1/a2 Intake manifold and throttle body. The base RSX which shares the same motor has a dual runner setup like the 3rd gen GS-R and a slightly smaller TB.

-Compression: k20a has .5 more compression due to more material on the k20a pistons vs k20z1 and a2. Rods, crank, bearings, head, block, pan, everything else is the same/identical.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
As for trading it in, they offered me 3000$, what a joke, otherwise in perfect condition.

Highrev, I have to spend the money to get a new engine, so if I'm going to do that I'm looking to get the most HP out of this as is possible, so a built engine would be cool but I wouldn't know where to begin that process, if you know a guy thats doing them let me know, I would love to have a built engine and your stage 4 S/C kit on my car.

yes, in my reading it sounds like the JDM is not an option as it is a k20a with a diff ECU.

The AJP guys had someone built them a motor for there high boost set up, does anyone know who built there motor? as I know they did not..

The added displacement of a k24 sounds cool, but the added stroke length makes the max rpms drop proportionately.

Thanks for all of your input.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
As for trading it in, they offered me 3000$, what a joke, otherwise in perfect condition.

Highrev, I have to spend the money to get a new engine, so if I'm going to do that I'm looking to get the most HP out of this as is possible, so a built engine would be cool but I wouldn't know where to begin that process, if you know a guy thats doing them let me know, I would love to have a built engine and your stage 4 S/C kit on my car.

yes, in my reading it sounds like the JDM is not an option as it is a k20a with a diff ECU.

Thanks for all of your input.
you could convert necessary sensors...it really wouldn't be that difficult...more plug and play than alot of your options

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.