8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just swiched from a stage 2 exedy to a stage 4 competition clutch and wen i was breaking it in it used to shake like crazy wen i started from stop unless i reb it up to like 3rpms. and now after 900 miles its spitting out the clutch springs. it already spit out 2 of them and it sounds like the 3rd one is ready to come out. they all coming out from the small plate you can remove below the tranny. i did not beat on the clutch wen i was breaking it in. but i did a little after the 2 springs came out. im still driving the car now it is not giving me a problem with the shifting. why would this happend?? im about to drop the tranny on sunday and send the clutch back to competition clutch company so they can inspect it. hopefully they dont tell me its my fault.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
The reason is because it's a stage 4 competition 6 puck clutch. I saw in your other post (in a different thread) you said it's only smooth when you rev to 2,500 to 3,000 RPM. Thats because of the type of clutch. It's not designed to be smooth on the road, or in daily driving. It is a stage 4 competition clutch. It is going to grab really hard by design (particularly when it's new, because all clutches are typically a bit more grabby when new). This causes it to be very un smooth at lower RPM engagement.

Clutch chattering is hard on the springs and can damage them if it's severe enough.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Dang if the engagement is THAT harsh, I'm glad I went with the full face CC stg. 2 for my S/c.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Why have such an overkill clutch on a daily driver? I'm sure your transmission is hating the harsh engagement.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry man but those Stage 4 clutches are mostly for track use only. You gotta rev over 3k rpm to take off, thats all normal. Im sure the clutch is good, its just not quite designed for daily driving. I wouldnt recommend going anything more aggressive than a stage 1 unless ur supercharged cuz even that stage 2 is pushing it.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Sorry man but those Stage 4 clutches are mostly for track use only. You gotta rev over 3k rpm to take off, thats all normal. Im sure the clutch is good, its just not quite designed for daily driving. I wouldnt recommend going anything more aggressive than a stage 1 unless ur supercharged cuz even that stage 2 is pushing it.
Sprung full face carbon-kevlar is pushing it?

(Not flaming. Inquiring.)

The main reason I went this route is because it IS full face and NOT ceramic.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im about to buy me a stage 1 exedy. what u guys think???
im thinking that the spring started to come loose from the clutch chattering/ shaking cuz it used to happend alot since i didnt want to rev it too high since i was breaking it in. so do u guys think competition clutch company will help out and maybe get me a new one?? im deff not gona tell them that there was clutch stuttering and shaking. they probably sold me bad clutch

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just dropped the clutch this sunday. didnt take the subframe off which saved me sooooo much time. it only took me 2 hours to take out the clutch it turns out that my flywheel wasnt thick enough for the stage 4 clutch so the springs where hitting the flywheel bolts which eventually cause them to start popping out. just order over night a stage 1 exedy clutch kit and flywheel which shouldnt give me a problem

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Holy chit. I would've never imagined.

I mean yea, a ceramic clutch (CC Stg. 4) is going to present more wear on the flywheel, but D***.

What type of flywheel were you running?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
just dropped the clutch this sunday. didnt take the subframe off which saved me sooooo much time. it only took me 2 hours to take out the clutch it turns out that my flywheel wasnt thick enough for the stage 4 clutch so the springs where hitting the flywheel bolts which eventually cause them to start popping out. just order over night a stage 1 exedy clutch kit and flywheel which shouldnt give me a problem
damn that's weird, i have had my cc stage 4 for almost a year already and i have no problems with it, stock flywheel it's also chatters a bit when i take off but it's an awsome clutch

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
with a stock flywheel?? i think thats what i got but im not sure.. it looks stock. idk if i should send the clutch back and maybe they give me a new one which i highly doubt but it cant hurt to try.. i should be getting my new kit today and dropping it in later tonight..

and i did drop the subframe about 2 inches to give me extra space to work with. it was easy dropping it 2 inches tho. i would deff hate to drop the whole subframe

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Erm ... No offense , but how do you not know if you're running the stock flywheel or not?

If you could figure it out, it will probably prevent others here from experiencing what you've experienced.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Erm ... No offense , but how do you not know if you're running the stock flywheel or not?

If you could figure it out, it will probably prevent others here from experiencing what you've experienced.

cuz the last thing i was concern at the moment was the flywheel. i was mad busy and needed to get some where so i just took that sh*t out and bounce. ill take a look at it wen i get a chance n let u all know. hopefully after $1,500 into the tranny it runs fine.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
The stock flywheel is pretty easy to spot. It does have markings on it as well I believe. I have mine sitting at home. I will take pictures of it, and post them up later in a new thread to be stickied for reference.
Shoot, while you're at it, WEIGH IT. That way we can end all this confusion as to how much the stock fly weighs. (cuz seemingly, no one knows for sure.)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
aight so i dropped in the exedy 8pound flywheel and the stage 1 exedy clutch kit today.. it went great finished it up in about 2 1/2 hours. its shifting like butter. the flywheel i had in there before was the stock one it was just resurface when they changed the clutch last. the stage 4 CC does not work with the stock flywheel which i knew but i had some one else do the work the first time and they should have been able to tell. it just sucks that i had to drop $1,500 on the dam* tranny

1 - 20 of 43 Posts