8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had my civic for 2 month. and its got 2500 miles on it. the thing is that almost every month something is wrong with the car and i have to visit the dealership. the 2nd week i got it the air bag sensor failed. so they had to replace it. now a month later the battery had failed so i had to get my car towed on a sunday 12pm when the dealership is closed. and i dont know what is gonna happen next but im scared. i feel like the car is not reliable. i went to the dealer and complained about how bad the car is that they sold me. they said that they can't do anything about it except for me trading in for a new car. and thats like 4000 bucks since i got a 07 lx but they dont have any 07s left so i have to trade it in for a 08. im kinda stressed out right now. and i dont know if i do trade it in should i get a coupe or a sedan. i have a sendan right now. any suggestions for me when talking to the sales person so he can lower the price for me?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thats only when the same thing happens three times. like if the battery dies 3 times which is unlikely to happen. im more afraid of what else is gonna break down next rather than the same thing.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
If you have the lx trade it in for a si LOL

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dealerships will work with you if you take the time to work your way through the bullshit. Start dealing with the manager. Tell him/her you are dissappointed, that you are frustrated that the normally reliable Honda name is taking a hit. Alwas be polite and remind them this is not your last new car,
To drive the point home, have a few of your friends/relatives go to that dealer. Have them test drive and pick out a color they want. They day they go to sign the papers tell them to cancel because they happend to talk to you. Because you were so unhappy with the service up to this point it has persuaded them to make their purchase elsewhere. This is a last ditch tactic, but I have used it to success for 1 family member and 1 family friend. When the dealership sees the loss of money on the bottom line they will do what they can to rectify the situation.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Dealerships will work with you if you take the time to work your way through the bullshit. Start dealing with the manager. Tell him/her you are dissappointed, that you are frustrated that the normally reliable Honda name is taking a hit. Alwas be polite and remind them this is not your last new car,
To drive the point home, have a few of your friends/relatives go to that dealer. Have them test drive and pick out a color they want. They day they go to sign the papers tell them to cancel because they happend to talk to you. Because you were so unhappy with the service up to this point it has persuaded them to make their purchase elsewhere. This is a last ditch tactic, but I have used it to success for 1 family member and 1 family friend. When the dealership sees the loss of money on the bottom line they will do what they can to rectify the situation.
omg thats sneaky :eek:hsnap:

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
That's a really good idea. Sneaky, but I love it.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
finally some body took it seriouse and tries to give me ideas. yeah i love it and im gonna do it. or i already am. the manager know that i am reallly upset. thats how far i have gotten. and if i do do a trade in what kind of things should i look for when im gettin a new car. please help

·
Banned
256 Posts
Try posting about the issue at a message board that rates high on a search engine such as Google. I had a really bad experience at a Toyota dealership with my old car and I posted bad stuff about the dealership. If someone typed in the name of the dealership, it would come in as second in the search engine for Google. After that, the dealership totally changed what they put in their website, and wrote customer satisfaction is #1. I never did go back to the Toyota dealership after having bad experience though.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
finally some body took it seriouse and tries to give me ideas. yeah i love it and im gonna do it. or i already am. the manager know that i am reallly upset. thats how far i have gotten. and if i do do a trade in what kind of things should i look for when im gettin a new car. please help
First off: research, research, research. When I bought this car back in July 2006, there were very few threads that I found mentioning the third gear issue, the paint issue, or the quality issue (rattles, plastics, etc).

Use forums to your advantage, reading the negatives of the car as well as the positives.

Do a THROUGH test drive.

What are you planning on looking at?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First off: research, research, research. When I bought this car back in July 2006, there were very few threads that I found mentioning the third gear issue, the paint issue, or the quality issue (rattles, plastics, etc).

Use forums to your advantage, reading the negatives of the car as well as the positives.

Do a THROUGH test drive.

What are you planning on looking at?
the same thing just a year newer i have a 07 civic 4dr lx right now. im gonna trade it in for a 08 but i dont know if i should go for a coupe instead or no. im looking forward to tuning it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hondas are good reliable cars...some might argue the best on the market. No amount of inspection prior to your purchase is going to alert you to a bad battery or a faulty SRS sensor. Sometimes you just have to chaulk such things up to bad luck. However, how the dealership deals with these issues is the main concern.
I came to my Civic via two Acura RSXs (an 03 and an 05). I did quite a bit of research before my purchase. The Civic is one of the best cars for the price on the road today and because you happend to have a few issues with it in the first few weeks of ownership does not mean it will fall apart over the next couple of years. My advice is to gain some perspective on your situation, sometimes when you are in the middle of an issue it can seem much larger then it is. I am speaking of the car issues, not with the dealership.

Joe

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Try posting about the issue at a message board that rates high on a search engine such as Google. I had a really bad experience at a Toyota dealership with my old car and I posted bad stuff about the dealership. If someone typed in the name of the dealership, it would come in as second in the search engine for Google. After that, the dealership totally changed what they put in their website, and wrote customer satisfaction is #1. I never did go back to the Toyota dealership after having bad experience though.
Ha. Excellent idea! See, I did the opposite. I had a bad experience with a certain dealership locally so I got on a local tuner forum and told my story thinking nobody that wasn't local would care but if I tell the locals, at least someone will be informed...

Well turns out one of the regulars on that forum worked for the dealership and was very skeptical and made it known. I got some backup from the forum members in the form of "why would he lie and make up that kind of a story" but eventually I stopped visiting the forum.

Recently I have come back to find that my UN and post has since been deleted. I guess there were rumors of a crash and restoring from a backup from before my post... whatever, I'm not concerned.

Anyway, that's one idea I suppose...posting on a local forum... just be careful how you word your story keeping in mind that some of your readers could be loyal employees... (I was very patient and factual in my representation of my situation).

:thumb:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
i have had my civic for 2 month. and its got 2500 miles on it. the thing is that almost every month something is wrong with the car and i have to visit the dealership. the 2nd week i got it the air bag sensor failed. so they had to replace it. now a month later the battery had failed so i had to get my car towed on a sunday 12pm when the dealership is closed. and i dont know what is gonna happen next but im scared. i feel like the car is not reliable. i went to the dealer and complained about how bad the car is that they sold me. they said that they can't do anything about it except for me trading in for a new car. and thats like 4000 bucks since i got a 07 lx but they dont have any 07s left so i have to trade it in for a 08. im kinda stressed out right now. and i dont know if i do trade it in should i get a coupe or a sedan. i have a sendan right now. any suggestions for me when talking to the sales person so he can lower the price for me?
i have an 08 lx coupe and ive only had it not even 2 months and on my way home from class today my check engine light went on.... so i brought it to the dealer ship and they to put some sensor that monitors the air flow or something like that.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
the same thing just a year newer i have a 07 civic 4dr lx right now. im gonna trade it in for a 08 but i dont know if i should go for a coupe instead or no. im looking forward to tuning it.
I have the 08 lx and besides that one thing i LOVE it. Its a very nice car. it just depends on what you like if u want a 2 door or not. Personally i like the 2d look, i think it looks sporty

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Hondas are good reliable cars...some might argue the best on the market. No amount of inspection prior to your purchase is going to alert you to a bad battery or a faulty SRS sensor. Sometimes you just have to chaulk such things up to bad luck. However, how the dealership deals with these issues is the main concern.
I came to my Civic via two Acura RSXs (an 03 and an 05). I did quite a bit of research before my purchase. The Civic is one of the best cars for the price on the road today and because you happend to have a few issues with it in the first few weeks of ownership does not mean it will fall apart over the next couple of years. My advice is to gain some perspective on your situation, sometimes when you are in the middle of an issue it can seem much larger then it is. I am speaking of the car issues, not with the dealership.
Joe
Yeah, I agree with this...the SRS was a recall, most new cars will go through a recall at some time. It's an inconvienience, but it gets fixed at no cost to you. The bad battery...a lot of things can happen to cause a battery to die. Not trying to put blame on you, but you could have left a dome light on...something really simple like that would drain you battery over night.

Edit: +1 for your username JoePa.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
This is by no means an accepted theory nor one held by anyone other than myself, but it is my personal belief that the sedans (Si sedans withheld) are built better than the coupes.

I'm not yelling "Blame Canada!" because I love Canada, but I've heard some bad things about the Alliston plant where the Civic coupes are built.

It just seems, to me at least, that I see far fewer sedan owners posting problems than coupe owners.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.