8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

New Car Smell

2K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  Silver8th 
#1 ·
I was talking with my dad today about my new ride and he was VERY impressed. He was taken back by how much Civic has stepped up. He then mentioned this which totally blew my mind. All you kids out there getting new cars (Civics or not) should read this and pass it on to your friends. Luckily car makers are doing something about it, but I know I'm leaving my windows cracked when I can for a while...

#5 ·
dtexan said:
My 06 civic doesnt have a really strong new car smell I guess thats a good thing. Maybe I need more glue hahahaha
That's because Honda is one many manufacturers who have already complied with the new mandate to cut down on chemicals during manufacturing by 2007.

#8 ·
Jrfish007 said:
I wonder what chemicals are being used.... they just say volitile organic chemicals.... that is quite broad, if I knew the specific chemicals, I could say exactly what they do and how dangerous they are.

"Volatile organic compounds seep out of a vehicle's plastics, glue, vinyl and upholstery, and include some cancer-causing toxins such as styrene, benzene and formaldehyde."

#9 ·
jsw05exse said:
"Volatile organic compounds seep out of a vehicle's plastics, glue, vinyl and upholstery, and include some cancer-causing toxins such as styrene, benzene and formaldehyde."
Dont forget the worst one...polyvinylchloride...or..PVC (Nasty stuff...it can screw you right up). Classic "new car smell" is mainly made up of PVC vapours (as well as a combination of the others mentioned) coming from the newly molded Plastic and Vinyl "flashing out" for the first few months. Some vehicles will even get a slight milky coloured haze on the windshield from the gasses building up on the glass.

-Jason

#11 ·
This like dolphin in tuna. I want my tuna with real dolphin meat, and I want my cars with real new car smell dangit!

(kidding on both counts, but I do like new car smell. Mostly because it smells like...a new car.)

Besides, that's a Canadian site. You can't trust Canadians!

#16 ·
my si stunk like S*it when i first got it. Well not like S*it but it didnt smell good at all, i was wondering if it was the suade on the seats but then i smelt the floormats and i found the culprate. I think the materials they are using in the floormats stink really bad.

#17 ·
Jason Blier said:
Dont forget the worst one...polyvinylchloride...or..PVC (Nasty stuff...it can screw you right up). Classic "new car smell" is mainly made up of PVC vapours (as well as a combination of the others mentioned) coming from the newly molded Plastic and Vinyl "flashing out" for the first few months. Some vehicles will even get a slight milky coloured haze on the windshield from the gasses building up on the glass.

-Jason
My windows got really dirty inside very fast, maybe thats why!? I don't let ANYONE smoke in my car, so I was like what the hell, why are my windows dirty!? I don't even smell the new car smell anymore though...

tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.