8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between damper kit & Coilovers kit?
Mugen and buddy club are selling damper kit
Tein & megan is selling coilover kits
i wanna know what is the difference between them?
are they actually the same?

Which one is better if they are difference

Also wanna know what is the difference between damper and stock shock, and can the HFP suspension adjustable?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
HFP suspension is not adjustable and it comes with everything

The coilover is the spring
The dampner is the shock

The shock and spring need to match up properly with eachothers bounce back ratings.(Not sure of the technical term) If the shock tries to travel too far, it will ruin the shock. Thats as much as i can help because i am still learning also.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HFP suspension is not adjustable and it comes with everything

The coilover is the spring
The dampner is the shock

The shock and spring need to match up properly with eachothers bounce back ratings.(Not sure of the technical term) If the shock tries to travel too far, it will ruin the shock. Thats as much as i can help because i am still learning also.
that's really help

·
Registered
932 Posts
Not quite right.....

Both suspension systems (kits) are the same. In fact some manufactures refer to them as coilover dampening kits, coilover kits, or just suspension kits. They contain front struts with springs (mounted on the strut or not) and rear shocks with springs (not mounted on shock but mounted at the axle). Like the HFP sport suspension, most systems tha cost under $800 are not adjustable and those that cost up $1,800 are usually adjustable. Most manufactures match struts/shocks to springs that are designed for your car (such as 2D coupe Si or non Si and 4D Si or non Si). As to your last question, stock strut/shock dampening is soft for a soft comfortable ride, while aftermarket strut/shock tend to be stiffer for a firmer ride which gives you more control of the car. Hope this helps you. If it does not totally answer your questions, look up posts by Highrev1 with the "search" function. He is (IMO) the guru on this subject on this forum.

·
Registered
649 Posts
damper=shocks=strut (basically)

coilover= springs are coiled over or around the damper/shock/strut
for our cars, in the front, this is true. where in the rear the damper and spring are seperate, regardless of what company makes it.

dampers are not always adjustable - for example: the HFP suspension.

adjustability does not immediately equal superior or better product.

the light blue "stickied" threads at the top of this subforum are a blessing, check them out....

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Both suspension systems (kits) are the same. In fact some manufactures refer to them as coilover dampening kits, coilover kits, or just suspension kits. They contain front struts with springs (mounted on the strut or not) and rear shocks with springs (not mounted on shock but mounted at the axle). Like the HFP sport suspension, most systems tha cost under $800 are not adjustable and those that cost up $1,800 are usually adjustable. Most manufactures match struts/shocks to springs that are designed for your car (such as 2D coupe Si or non Si and 4D Si or non Si). As to your last question, stock strut/shock dampening is soft for a soft comfortable ride, while aftermarket strut/shock tend to be stiffer for a firmer ride which gives you more control of the car. Hope this helps you. If it does not totally answer your questions, look up posts by Highrev1 with the "search" function. He is (IMO) the guru on this subject on this forum.

I worded it wrong, when i said coilover, i ment coil/spring. Isnt a coilover adjustable?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Isnt a coilover adjustable?

LucasBlack said:
coilover= springs are coiled over or around the damper/shock/strut
for our cars, in the front, this is true. where in the rear the damper and spring are seperate, regardless of what company makes it.
HFP's are coilovers...non-adjustable.

..then there are the slew of aftermarket 8-billion-settings-to-meet-your-every-desire-plus-height-adjustability-for-the-vain coilovers...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts