8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Civic LX automatic sedan with 107,000 miles. A few months ago I installed new CV axles and brand new seals where the axle shaft enters the transmission. The driver's side axle seal (National brand 710314) seems to be leaking because reddish fluid is leaking where the seal is onto the shiny metal where the axle enters the transmission. It also looks like the fluid is splashing in that area (I assume from the rotation of the axle shaft). I removed the axle and removed the new seal, then I put it back in. I made it as flush as I could with the outer part of the transmission. But it's still leaking. Should the seal be pushed in more? Should the seal be pulled out a hair? I just don't want to keep taking this apart and putting it back together and continuing to have a transmission fluid leak. I did not grease the seal but I did put transmission fluid on the outer and inner part edges of the axle seal. Should I use a grease? What grease? I have sil-glyde. Any tips on this seal leak would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a 2008 Civic LX automatic sedan with 107,000 miles. A few months ago I installed new CV axles and brand new seals where the axle shaft enters the transmission. The driver's side axle seal (National brand 710314) seems to be leaking because reddish fluid is leaking where the seal is onto the shiny metal where the axle enters the transmission. It also looks like the fluid is splashing in that area (I assume from the rotation of the axle shaft). I removed the axle and removed the new seal, then I put it back in. I made it as flush as I could with the outer part of the transmission. But it's still leaking. Should the seal be pushed in more? Should the seal be pulled out a hair? I just don't want to keep taking this apart and putting it back together and continuing to have a transmission fluid leak. I did not grease the seal but I did put transmission fluid on the outer and inner part edges of the axle seal. Should I use a grease? What grease? I have sil-glyde. Any tips on this seal leak would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you can, I would advise to change it to an OE seal.

·
Registered
701 Posts
On something like this, I would go 100% on the OEM part although some aftermarket parts work great too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wanted to follow up. I removed the seal and put another brand new one in and it's working! Maybe I didn't put it in correctly the first time, but I just bought the exact same one at Advanced Auto (National brand) and it's working fine now. No leaks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to follow up. I removed the seal and put another brand new one in and it's working! Maybe I didn't put it in correctly the first time, but I just bought the exact same one at Advanced Auto (National brand) and it's working fine now. No leaks.
what is the correct way of doing it?
Does it have to be flush with the casing? I’m having that problem right now. I don’t know how far in or out the seal has to be

1 - 8 of 8 Posts