8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last week I noticed that after I got an oil change at my local Honda Dealership (cause they were having a deal) the check engine light came on, ok... Well I started to drive more during the day and I started to notice that it was hard to shift into 1st... then 3rd was hard, and finally 5th. I ended up pulling over because I couldn't shift at ALL into 1st, 3rd, and 5th. So I had to limp my way using 2nd and 4th back to Muller Honda to see what was up.

Well the check engine light ended up being for me running no cat, but why it came on after the oil change, I have no idea. But then the hot shot Honda inspector said I would have to leave my car over night because a Honda Tech person is the only person that could help me... I said ok fine since it was free. :readtherules:

The next morning I get a call saying they couldn't find anything wrong with my transmission and they would HAVE to take out my transmission to find out whats wrong. This would have cost me $600 to take it out and inspect it, now I'm seriously worried about my baby! :eek:hnoes:

I said lets hold off on this, so I went over and picked up my car to get a 2nd opinion from my neighbor whose a mechanic. I dropped it off and then right when I got home he calls me and says,"Hey I found the problem, ended up being your linkage was just loose, I tightened it and everything is good!"

...What.... :shady:

So I picked up my car and she drove just like she did before. I was so incredibly steamed and angry that Muller Honda wanted to charge me for costs that I didn't even need and for a fix that my neighbor said he found in about 10 minutes.

So wrap up, it just goes to show when things don't seem right, it's always good to get a 2nd opinion :popcorn:

Oh! and I bought my neighbor some :corona: for saving me from getting scammed and ****** over, our family has always used him and I think I will too :hail:

·
Registered
846 Posts
It kind of sucks, but I think every Honda Dealer in NW IL are crap.

Muller = your story
Pauly Honda = always over priced for service + cars
Castle Honda = Bunch of scam artists
Schaumburg Honda = Hear bad things about them
Rosen Honda = ??

idk, kind of sucks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
:facepalm: mueller honda techs

i bought my car there, never going back for service or anything else for that matter

·
Registered
120 Posts
im dealing with Castle right now with the 3rd gear service..............
overall, they seem nice but im stuck with the "we cant replicate the issue" scenario.
the used car mgmr named Ali is awesome. he's trying to take care of the 3rd gear issue but has been very helpful. gave me a loaner for the time being. i got the car as a CPO on the spot so he's also doing another 150 pt inspection now.
there finance guy is a d-bag though..partially my fault as well but i wish they would slow down and explain the paper work. i dunno how it got messed up with me saying im cool with the CPO and got tagged with a 3k extended warranty...

·
Premium Member
37,358 Posts
nice, my first reaction to your problem would have been to go under the car and inspect it myself first, with honda its best to locate the problem on your own and have them fix it under warranty

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
It kind of sucks, but I think every Honda Dealer in NW IL are crap.

Muller = your story
Pauly Honda = always over priced for service + cars
Castle Honda = Bunch of scam artists
Schaumburg Honda = Hear bad things about them
Rosen Honda = ??

idk, kind of sucks.
Honda of Joliet should be added to that too. They always talk down to me when I go there and tried to blame my HIDs on an electrical issue, when it was just one of the DRL bulbs that needed to be changed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well last week I noticed that after I got an oil change at my local Honda Dealership (cause they were having a deal) the check engine light came on, ok... Well I started to drive more during the day and I started to notice that it was hard to shift into 1st... then 3rd was hard, and finally 5th. I ended up pulling over because I couldn't shift at ALL into 1st, 3rd, and 5th. So I had to limp my way using 2nd and 4th back to Muller Honda to see what was up.

Well the check engine light ended up being for me running no cat, but why it came on after the oil change, I have no idea. But then the hot shot Honda inspector said I would have to leave my car over night because a Honda Tech person is the only person that could help me... I said ok fine since it was free. :readtherules:

The next morning I get a call saying they couldn't find anything wrong with my transmission and they would HAVE to take out my transmission to find out whats wrong. This would have cost me $600 to take it out and inspect it, now I'm seriously worried about my baby! :eek:hnoes:

I said lets hold off on this, so I went over and picked up my car to get a 2nd opinion from my neighbor whose a mechanic. I dropped it off and then right when I got home he calls me and says,"Hey I found the problem, ended up being your linkage was just loose, I tightened it and everything is good!"

...What.... :shady:

So I picked up my car and she drove just like she did before. I was so incredibly steamed and angry that Muller Honda wanted to charge me for costs that I didn't even need and for a fix that my neighbor said he found in about 10 minutes.

So wrap up, it just goes to show when things don't seem right, it's always good to get a 2nd opinion :popcorn:

Oh! and I bought my neighbor some :corona: for saving me from getting scammed and ****** over, our family has always used him and I think I will too :hail:
Most likely they loosened your linkage during your oil change.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn, is it still under warranty? They should at least look at the car for you for free.
No it's not anymore (typical), but they did look at it for free which was nice, but they didn't offer me a rental car at all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Honda of Joliet should be added to that too. They always talk down to me when I go there and tried to blame my HIDs on an electrical issue, when it was just one of the DRL bulbs that needed to be changed.
Yes! That's exactly what the did to me. They talked down to me cause I had no cat. They kept saying I didn't have a cat, YES I KNOW THIS, this hot shot Honda guy was like 25, and cause I was younger than him he was condesending and rude. After they checked my codes, they said well
you have no cat, for the 10th time, and then explained what a defouler is, are you kiding me?! I forgot to add, I started talking real Honda tech to this person to test him. I started naming engines H series, B, J, K, F even the C engines, and he got confused and didn't know what I was talking about. He then told me this, and this is a word for word quote, I remember this, he said, "Honda's are terrible cars to mod." :facepalm:

He also started to explain how RPMs and car speed work, really?... He asked me if I was ever going faster than my rpms, I said no cause I know what that means, and he's said oh that's good cause I would have said your shifting needs work

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ummm, really? When it's a joke make sure you put j/k after. Why on earth would you have to remove the linkage to do an oil change?
He said since I installed my header and exhaust myself, I must have done something wrong.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Yes! That's exactly what the did to me. They talked down to me cause I had no cat. They kept saying I didn't have a cat, YES I KNOW THIS, this hot shot Honda guy was like 25, and cause I was younger than him he was condesending and rude. After they checked my codes, they said well
you have no cat, for the 10th time, and then explained what a defouler is, are you kiding me?! I forgot to add, I started talking real Honda tech to this person to test him. I started naming engines H series, B, J, K, F even the C engines, and he got confused and didn't know what I was talking about. He then told me this, and this is a word for word quote, I remember this, he said, "Honda's are terrible cars to mod." :facepalm:
Those techs bounce from dealership to dealership and don't always work for the same company so it's not unusual for a tech @ honda to not know the history of every motor honda has ever built. That doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing. I guess what I should say is that their knowledge of honda motor history is not a good judge as to if they are qualified to be a tech.

I do see what you mean though... I don't like when people discriminate based on my age or even the fact that I roll in in a civic. I can't POSSIBLY be interested in a $40,000 Pilot cause I'm currently in a $20,000 civic... right... Fun personal statistic of mine: The last 3 times I've seriously test driven a car and talked numbers, I've bought one within a month. Just cause I'm only 26 doesn't mean I don't buy or can't afford cars stupid salespeople. The more senior salesperson at my local dealership knows this though. He started as the most condescending one of them all but after seeing me roll in in 3 different cars over the last 3 years, he realizes that I DO ACTUALLY BUY CARS.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Call Honda-USA's corporate headquarters and file at least one formal complaint, it's the only way anything really gets done against those balloonheads.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Call Honda-USA's corporate headquarters and file at least one formal complaint, it's the only way anything really gets done against those balloonheads.
I am going to once I find some time, that or an email. I mean there are laws against this for consumers, what if I didn't have this neighbor of mine? I bet there are people getting screwed over a lot because the dealer said they NEED this

1 - 20 of 30 Posts