8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story short, pivot bolt on tensioner broke while driving, drilled it out and put a new one with heli coils. Thought it worked, 3 days later broke again, did same procedure again and now is holding the tensioner in there, been there for 1k miles now, but I can hear it rattling more and more everyday and know that is going to brake again. Which belt I can get to not need the tensioner? Is the only fix I have left before having to get a new engine. If anyone has successfully done it or has an idea to go with please let me know don’t want to spend 5k on an engine for a car that’s worth 6k at the moment.

Update: Well been putting 130 miles a day on it at work and now is rattling a lot at low rpm and when taking off on 1st gear when at first was only doing it when cold in the morning. But definitely a lil louder and more often. Since I think no1 has deleted the tensioner before (assuming that since haven’t found nothing or no one with any ideas) going to take belt and tensioner off next week if it still holding and start measuring to find a new belt, hopefully there’s one in store with the length I need or else I guess car is done, since I know for sure that when I take it out this time bolt gonna break again and I’m not drilling and tapping into the block a third time.

Please if someone has an idea on belt and routing it message me don’t wanna send a new car to the junkyard over one single bolt.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What about getting A threaded rod screwed in there as a stud, get it welded to the block and then a nut to hold the tensioner on? would there be room to get the tensioner in with a stud?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about getting A threaded rod screwed in there as a stud, get it welded to the block and then a nut to hold the tensioner on? would there be room to get the tensioner in with a stud?
Would have no room to tighten that but, bolt goes in the tensioner a little when you put it in and there’s no clearance between tensioner and water pump pulley for anything to be sticking out further than the tensioner surface, that’s why is a Allen key needed to put it in, if the water pump pulley wasn’t on the way I’d definitely would’ve gone with a nut and be done with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts