8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was torquing everything yesterday, and I noticed that my swift spring coils in the front don't wind up evenly with the strut. What I mean is that it looks like the spring is installed at an angle so the coils protrude on one side. Is that normal for swift springs or any springs for that matter? IIRC there wasn't any marking telling me if its FL or FR. Should I reinstall the springs on opposite sides?

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
I received your PM, this thread gave a little more description on the issue. The Swift spring will seem to protrude on one side. If the top hat is level with and the spring being correctly installed in the top hat and correctly sitting on the spring perch below, then it is fine.

Swift springs provide an right OEM rubber boot for the right side, being both front Swift springs are wound in the same direction, Swift had to provide that in order to install. OEM front springs are wound in the opposite direction, which is why one OEM dust boot is replaced with the provided one. So switching the springs will do abosolutely nothing, as they are identical.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dust boot is sort of protruding on 1 side also, I think when i installed them, I took off 1 spring compressor instead of slowly loosening both so they are both level. I'll probably redo it anyways. Did your ride get really bumpy after the install? Seems like my car is stiff as f*** with these springs on.

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
If you can post a photo, that would be helpful.

I noticed a little stiffer ride, but nothing drastic. I mated them to KONI dampers though and never to stock dampers.

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
I see, the top of the dust boot, where it connects to the top hat is slightly off center. I believe that kind of snaps into the top hat IIRC. You can attempt to take the spring off and reset. I did not need the use of a spring compressor as there was almost no pressure on the top hat. Just press down slightly as you are loosening the main top hat nut, when the nut is fully loose, slowly lift off in a controlled manor. If you need, ask for a second hand from someone, have them loosen the nut while you keep pressure and so on. Reset and see if that changes anything.

If you want to keep using the spring compressor that if fine, just make sure you loosen each about the same so they come off about the same time.

Mine was centered and tight aroud the whole surface the dust boot mates tot he top hat.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh..okay. Did your spring look crooked also? In the first pic, it looks like the spring is sitting at a certain angle, don't know if that's normal.

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
I still have the springs and my HFP dampers around. Let me see if I can build the assembly quick tonight and toss some photos up for you to compare.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Oh, okay. Thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it. This has been bugging me for some time, haha. Could I have installed it wrong, lol. I installed the fronts with the logo facing right side up, so I don't think I did, but it could be a possibility.

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
I stopped by my parents house where my spare parts are in safe keeping, but my older brother boxed them up when he re-arranged the garage as he keep buying larger tools. :giggle: I was not able to locate them when I stopped by, but called my brother and he know where they are. They are not accessable when his car is in the garage, and I do not dare move it out int he rain. Haha. I will have to try for tomorrow evening.

If you want to, re-set the assembly. Make sure the dust boot is connected properly to the top hat. It seems from your photos, that is your issue. The two should push together and almost snap together as well if you will. Other than that, if you use the spring compressor, make sure you tighten and loosen both approximately the same amount. Don't fully release or compress either side, do them gradually.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, okay. Again, thanks for all the help, I appreciate it. I also emailed swift and they told me that they are wondering why the spring is also leaning, because it can only seat at the perch one way with the rubber piece.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am probably going to reinstall this tomorrow in my class, I will update tomorrow night on how it goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts