8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking getting some polk speakers and subs. i dont know much about sound systems so if you guys could give your thoughts on whether or not the speaker/sub is good or not and if it will fit. i just wanted something that can play pretty loud and still play clearly without any distortion. not really a fan of crazy bass.

no real reason for picking these, just that they were highlighted on the site.
polk db651s for my front speakers.
polk sr104 for my sub.

as for amps, i dont know which would be good.

i would also appreciate feedback on other speakers and subs from polk.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The polk DB651 is great speaker for running off of head unit power - one of my personal favorites. If you are going to be running an amp on your front stage, you may want to consider other drivers - but for running off the head, the DBs are a solid choice.

If you are running them off the head unit, I would recommend using 4 speakers, not just the fronts. You'll get more output volume this way. If you amplify the front stage, and use higher end components with a thorough install, you can benefit from removing the rear speakers.

For SQ, the polk SR woofers aren't bad sounding drivers, but they will need a large amplifier and a properly designed enclosure. If you are on a budget, or new to car audio, you may want to consider going with something lower end for the sub-stage.

Hans

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
yeah my friend had an SR124, and that thing could HIT, nice and clean, thing is, he had a nice pricey custom box, built sealed to Polk specs. . . it beats the **** out of my 10W6v2, but then again not only does he have more cone area, he's also got more power, and money invested

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok kool. yeh im pretty new to car audio. then i mite just hold off on the sub for now. i forgot to mention that i would still be using the stock head unit. so would the db651 still be good for that, or would the headunit not supply enough power to fully utilize the speakers potential.
so would changing all four speakers show a noticeable difference or just slightly?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
if youre going off headunit power, id say all 4 would make a good difference, if you go with an amp you can cut out the backs and compensate with a good set of fronts, but as it is now, id say changing them would do you some good if you want volume. . .

the Db is Polk's entry level so itll make good use of the power given to it without breaking the bank, them and the Infinity reference are my choices for low power and low budget, Focal Access 165A1 would be my main choice with a higher budget (the polks and Infinities sit at around the 200 mark, while the Focals stickhang around the 300 mark). . .

and as for the amp thing, STRICTLY speaking no matter what aftermarket speaker were talking about, itll never live up to its full potential without a good clean off-board amp supplying them power, but some are more efficient than others and will make better use of the low power of the headunit's internal amplifier

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.