8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i need some help my mother has been saying that she wants a new radio in her 03 crv so she can hook up her ipod she just got so im thinking about getting her one but she keeps on looking at one of those double din cd players so that she doesnt have to have that extra pocket. I cant have my mother ridin around like that. does anyone know anyhting about the Dual XDVD8265 any help or opinions would be helpful

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought my mom an double din pioneer a couple of years ago, it was top of the line at the time for double dins. It was money wasted. My mom never used 95% of the functions on it. She wished she had something simple. I would say that simplicity is key probably, unless your mother is good with technology. Simple to use IPOD and radio/cd functions. Thats it. Maybe a knob for volume would be nice too as opposed to buttons. Big clear and simple display also. Probably a deck that would match the interior well would be appreciated. Maybe something that looks like its stock. You could always just buy an IPOD adapter too. You've got to think, will she really use the DVD, will she really use all these features. Remember, what you think she needs, isn't always what they really want. I learned to hard way! Single Dins are pretty nice if you aren't looking for VIDEO and DVD functionality. Plus, some of them kick out lots of power and are very clean and whats wrong with a little pocket action?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i tried to tell her theres nothing wwrong with the little pocket but she hates the fact of another pocket. and i see what your saying about her even using all of the features, i really dont like wasting money.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Other than her "wasting money" is there something you have against a DD unit? If that's what she wants, then let her get it.

I'd recommend getting an alpine w200 or w205. You can pick up a used w200 for under $550. iPod control is awesome.

·
Registered
36 Posts
just bring it to a stereo shop...meaing not circuit city or best buy. a shop that does boxes, custom work, etc. and tell them to make you a dash kit to wear they make the front plate of it and cover it in vinyl. then she has no pocket and the shop can match the material to the car color. probably cost 50 bucks max. alot cheaper than most double dins

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
just bring it to a stereo shop...meaing not circuit city or best buy. a shop that does boxes, custom work, etc. and tell them to make you a dash kit to wear they make the front plate of it and cover it in vinyl. then she has no pocket and the shop can match the material to the car color. probably cost 50 bucks max. alot cheaper than most double dins
In the long run it's probalby going to be cheaper to buy a DD.

Most shops charge a lot for "custom" work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love Double Dins. I have a D3 and I love it. I have nothing against Double Dins. But most are pricey and have feature only advanced users will ever use. In the end though, you gotta do what makes mom happy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts