8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I searched but after this new layout I can’t find the answers

I’m in the process of removing and installing a new serpentine belt. It’s squeaking bad.

After watching smoke videos on YouTube, I see almost everyone remove the water pump pulley.

Is that necessary? Won’t relieving tension from the tensioner pulley be enough to remove and then install?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sorry I searched but after this new layout I can’t find the answers

I’m in the process of removing and installing a new serpentine belt. It’s squeaking bad.

After watching smoke videos on YouTube, I see almost everyone remove the water pump pulley.

Is that necessary? Won’t relieving tension from the tensioner pulley be enough to remove and then install?

Thanks in advance
Is this for R18 or k20? For r18, you don't need to remove any pulleys. You only have to use a 19mm to push the tensioner and relieve tension to the belt. After which, re-installed the new belt. Guess what, this is probably the hardest serpentine belt routing Honda every designed so good luck. :) Without a serpentine belt tensioner tool or ratcheting ratchet, this job is fairly labour intensive. Take a picture of how the belt is routed before you take it off. Also, Honda changed how the R18 belt is routed due to failure of the tensioner Allen key bolt may occur.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts