8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to the modding. so any help would be greatly appreciated. i got a 2010 si coupe. i want to get an exhaust, but im confused on a couple things. is there a difference between exhaust and a muffler? i know they go hand in hand, ive read various things around the forum and they confuse the crap out of me. another thing i dont know whats good and bad. i dont want something too loud. i just want something noticeable and reasonably priced. again, any help would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
sounds like you're in the market for an axle back. to answer your question an "exhaust" is the entire system a muffler is just a piece of the system that reduces or eliminates noise. usually when people say they got a new exhaust they're referring to a cat back which is the piping from the catalytic converter or "cat" to the tip you see at the back of the car. your stock exhaust exits the engine then runs through a cat then through a resonator (eliminates high pitch sound) and then through the muffler (eliminates all or most remaining sound). if you're looking for something cheap and not to loud i recommened looking at axle back exhausts. an axle back just replaces the muffler. you'll see that some axle backs look like the stock muffler (oval shaped) and others are a cylinder. in general the cylinder shaped ones will be louder (not much mind you) because they are resonators not mufflers.

·
Registered
10,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do yo wanna go performance or just for a little sound??
seems like Hfp axelback would be good for you...
i think for now, i just wanna go for sound. thanks for the suggestion.

sounds like you're in the market for an axle back. to answer your question an "exhaust" is the entire system a muffler is just a piece of the system that reduces or eliminates noise. usually when people say they got a new exhaust they're referring to a cat back which is the piping from the catalytic converter or "cat" to the tip you see at the back of the car. your stock exhaust exits the engine then runs through a cat then through a resonator (eliminates high pitch sound) and then through the muffler (eliminates all or most remaining sound). if you're looking for something cheap and not to loud i recommened looking at axle back exhausts. an axle back just replaces the muffler. you'll see that some axle backs look like the stock muffler (oval shaped) and others are a cylinder. in general the cylinder shaped ones will be louder (not much mind you) because they are resonators not mufflers.
that makes a lot more sense than the post with the depth explanation. much appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts