8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot get the filter off. I tried an oil filter plyer wrench until it put holes in the filter. Then i tried the screwdriver and all that did was rip the outer metal casing. Now there are soooo many holes in the filter that all plyers do is crush the filter and make the holes even bigger. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Large channel locks works for me when removing factory filter.

If you can get them in there.

Otherwise, a strap wrench.

·
Registered
13,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried chanel locks, they just rip it even more. There are soo many holes that plyers just crush it and can't get a grip.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
HAve you tried gipping closer to the top of the filter closer to the engine? or try the oil filter cups that attach to a ratchet?

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
Dynamite?

j/k...Damn, I've never heard of someone having this much trouble!

What about crushing the hell out of the lower part of the filter until it will crush no more and then using vice grips?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah you need to use a pretty thick screwdriver to get it off without bending or ripping the filter or screwdriver.

Find the biggest one you can, and try that.

·
Registered
13,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have used 4 different screw drivers, 3 punches, one really big nail, 2 oilfilter plyers, 4 other different types of plyers (chanel lock, 2 different vice grips, lock ring plyers). The filter has holes that are big enough for me to fit 3 fingers into all over the place. It looks like some one stabbed a soda can with a knife about a 100 times. The only good thing is, the engine has almost no oil it it because it has been drianing for almost 24 hours.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
I used one of those spider ones. I tried using the normal sized oil wrench but it just slipped. I wrestled for a long time and finally got it off with the spider, it also slipped a bunch though. I used a bolt breaker wrench with some extensions because I was paranoid about getting completely under the car. I think I also took the front right wheel off.

Put the new one on with the sized wrench.

It is not fun.

·
Registered
13,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
goixiz said:
dont put any more holes you are weakening it
use a belt type wrench

Its beyond weak. I can squeeze smaller with my hand. Rubber or metal belt wrench?

·
Registered
198 Posts
i also had trouble with the oil filter..i tried 3 different type of oil filter wrenches and finally got it off with the cup wrench attached to a socket wrench. It was a major PITA since there is not much room to work around that area.

·
Registered
791 Posts
my dad somehow contorted his arm to fit from the backside of the car towards the oil filter (if that makes any sense). I also had the front left wheel taken off but I don't think it makes a difference.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts