8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, long story short. I let my friend borrow my car and I just got it back, 2007 Si. I used the key to open the door and had to jump it to get it back home. Now It's at my house but the battery is completely dead so I can't use my FOB to unlock anything or pop the trunk. The problem is now the key doesn't work in the door??? I can stick it in but it doesn't want to turn even if I wiggle it around and try sliding it in and out a few times. How can I get into the car aside from calling a locksmith (last resort) I'm going to try some lock lube tomorrow and hopefully it helps if it's just stuck. If it doesn't work is the hood release cable ran anywhere I can get to it so I can put cables on it and use my FOB? I just searched through all my stuff for the valet key but it's missing somewhere after moving :( I don't know why they only put one lock cylinder on the entire car, seems pretty dumb.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Can't you use the key on the trunk? I thought the 2007s still have a key cylinder in the trunk. Or maybe it is a coupe and it doesn't?

·
Registered
58 Posts
You could try taking off the front bumper and actuating the hood latch manually then change the battery. Sounds like a terrible experience, sucks you gotta deal with it.

wait... I'm an idiot, you have to have the hood popped to remove the front bumper.... the door lock is the only way to get in that i can think of. Didn't realize what i was typing til i read it out loud. Coming from someone who has removed his bumper about 8 times prior, duh....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Let us know how it turns out. I've never had a battery get so drained that the locks wouldn't work. But I can see where the keyhole lock might get stuck - I can't think of the last time I used a physical key to get into any car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the battery is dying out that quick, I'm quite sure the alternator is the culprit. Switched mine out after getting stranded twice. My 07 lx's alternator is right above where I can get to it . You might wanna invest in a second key fob in case you accidentally lock your key in your car. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Let us know how it turns out. I've never had a battery get so drained that the locks wouldn't work. But I can see where the keyhole lock might get stuck - I can't think of the last time I used a physical key to get into any car.
Regardless, the key should work even if the battery is dead. You're only manually unlocking the car. So far I've fared good but feel bad when others aren't successful.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Sorry, off topic a bit, but I read the header of the thread and thought, "how big is this guy?" Not funny, but funny... at least to me. Sorry, carry on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry, off topic a bit, but I read the header of the thread and thought, "how big is this guy?" Not funny, but funny... at least to me. Sorry, carry on.
It is funny though. Given these struggling and uncertain times, a laugh or two is surely warranted. If it made you smile and chuckle, then welcome to the human experience. We all could use something to ease our fears if but for a moment.

Stay safe out there!!!???✊??

·
Registered
2007 Honda Civic si Taffeta White
37 Posts
The passenger door has a key cylinder, it’s under the plastic trim that covers to the left of the door handle, pop it off and there is a place to put in a key, might be a long shot but work a try if you can pop that sucker off

·
Registered
18 Posts
The driver door's actuator might have been continuously energized after a recent lock command (might be faulty remote or faulty door lock actuator relay. This might have caused the actuator to cease and restrict unlocking by key cylinder. Check that the remote is not continuously giving a lock command. Bump the driver door so the relay becomes unstuck.

You can unlock by forcing the door key. If this cannot be done, you can supply 12V DC power source to your dead battery using the light fixture in your trunk. Use the lowest current rating you can find so as not to burn out fuses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts