8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help to choose the right one for my 07 si with d3

Don't know which one to get. Please help to choose.

i'm thinking either JL 300/4 or Alpine PDX-4.150 for amp.

and for speakers(really hard to make decision)

1. Bosto = SL60 for components Boston SL65 for coaxials

2. Alpine = SPR 17s for components SPR 17c for coaxials (which is type-r)

3. Pioneer = TS-C 160R for components TS-D161R for coaxials(D series)

Please help me to make decision

Thanks in advance!! :wavey:

·
Registered
134 Posts
One advantage of the Boston SL60 is that the crossovers for the tweeter and mid are separable. That allows you to install the tweeters in the factory location and not have to run new wires into the door if you re-use the factory wiring in the door. Aside from that difference, you should audition the speakers and pick the ones you like the sound of.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I'd go with the PDX amp and you could get the 4.100 one instead. I saw a few on Ebay for $279. Those amps are smaller than the rest and the reviews are good. The speakers, that is a listening choice.

What are you going to do about a sub?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Remember that PDX amp is class D, so the frequency response and distortion will be a little higher than a class a/b. I plan on going with a JL 500/5 (overpriced name in my opinion) and a 12 IDQ. 1 amp for everything is what I was looking for so I can maximize trunk space.

Also their ratings are at 14.4. More realistic would have been at 12.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
achapman said:
Remember that PDX amp is class D, so the frequency response and distortion will be a little higher than a class a/b.
This isn't necessarily true. It's been debated a lot and there's plenty of people who say it matters, and plenty who say it doesn't matter (those who have switched from one to the other). But, you will notice the decreased electrical draw. :) I personally don't think you'll notice a huge difference in class alone, given that specs are the exact same.

Also, IIRC the JL's are rated anywhere from 11-14.4 volts, so their advertised power rating is regulated to be the same throughout the voltage range.

Both amps are class D so that's a plus. JL's a good name, so is Alpine. Of course, you can always find something cheaper, but the name behind them are quality.

I'd x2 on the pdx's though. I'd pick your speakers first, then decide on the 100x4 or 150x4 amp.

As for the components, that's a tough call. If you have anywhere to listen to them at, I'd do it. i've heard that Bostons are kind of bright, and I personally thought the same for the Type-R's. But, what's "bright" to me, may be nice to you.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I just temporarily got some Eclipse 3-way Coaxial speakers for my doors. I'm amazed. They sound better than my CDT Audio HD62 component set. The best part about them is the mounting depth 1 7/8" but I assure you the midbass kick is there, also for about $60 on ebay each set, you can't go wrong.

I'm running mine off a JL 300/2v2.

I highly recommend this set, I paired it up with an old 175w Eclipse sub and the SQ is great. :thumb:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4623

1 - 10 of 10 Posts