8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I got a DCRH not too long ago and i found out that it forces the cat converter out, now im torn between getting the stock cat welded back on, or if i should go for r/t hfc or magnaflow's hfc.
My question is how much hp would i lose getting either welded back on?
Also would I pass emissions with a hfc instead?

Im in Ontario so I'm not familiar with their emissions law but from what i've read it's probably as strict as in California. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
I'm not Canadian, nor am I familiar with what your inspection process is like. there have been a number of members that have welded on a Magnaflow high flow cat to their Buddy Club race headers. If I were you I would probably go that route unless buying another RH is an option. I don't think there's any way to mount the OEM cat to a RH, and it would ultimately be pointless.

Depending on A) How strict your area's inspection process is, and B) What they do during their inspection process, you could go one of a few ways. If all they do for emmisions testing is plug their computer into your OBD2 porst to see if you've thrown any CELs, I'd suggest getting the Vibrant rh w/hfc and an angled defouler. I've got one and always pass my inspection. If their inspections are really strict, I would suggest an aftermarket high flow cat that is CARB legal (I do believe Magnaflow makes one), then have that welded to your current rh. If they have a really intensive inspection process that includes a visual inspection, there's a possibility you still won't pass inspection.

Another (much less appealing) option is to get a "shorty" header and the Random Tech high flow cat. Personally I wouldn't go that route, as their gains pale in comparison to a true race header.

My ultimate suggestion to you is to familiarize yourself with what they actually do during their inspection process. If you have any mechanic friends, they would be the ones to ask. Or you could check in the Canadian regional subforum here on the 8th. I'm sure other members will know what the deal is. After you find that extremely relevant information out, THEN you can decide what your best option is going to be on race headers. Hope this helps you out a little bit. :thumb

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
IMO get a good race header and when it comes down to emissions (if any) or if you get a VI just swap the stock header back on to deal with whichever comes up then swap back to the Race header, thats what I have always done.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well emission test is 5 years after for a new car. So for my 2008, it'll be 2013 before an inspection. Then it's every 2 years after that. So by that time you might not even be driving that car.lol The testing consist of the car's drive wheels spining on a roller drum like in a dyno with a tail pipe probe to measure emissions. As long as your measurements are within the model's set limit, you pass. I currently have a T1R header with a Magnaflow HFC welded in the test pipe. Just from the smell of it, it's a big 'maybe' if my car will pass. But it's better than no cat. The loss of power should be very little.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks man, i was thinking of getting a magnaflow or R/T welded. But i suppose the loss of power would be great if i welded the stock cat instead?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts