8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
16,395 Posts
im changing out my transmission fluid today. ill have my wife push in the clutch while i check out the cmc. i hope i can find out this damn problem. ill update when i get my diagnostics complete..... here we go :beer:
Open your flywheel inspection cover on the bottom of the trans - it is black and is held on by two 10 or 12 mm bolts. See if anything good falls out or if you can see any odd stuff up in there. Quick and easy check.
The vibration damper springs are the springs in the clutch disk itself.
Both great ideas!

i always hated the feel of our cars shifting. cables suck so much and feel super mushy. i had a hard time getting in and out of gears for a while and then 7k miles later my tranny blows shifting into 2nd gear at 10 miles per hr... like while i'm pulling out of my friends driveway... its still mind boggling to me how easy my tranny blew considering i don't drive my car hard. i think i just got a bad tranny from the factory, or i shouldn't let other people drive my car...
I had something every similar happen to me. But I was shifting fast 1st - 2nd gear and then I hear a grinding sound all the way home.. Very scary!

My main point was that sinrigi should make sure what the issue is before going after the trans or clutch. I would suggest that he changes the transmission fluid and seeing if any plastic shift fork, brass synchro parts, or other oddities pour out.
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mechanical-problems-technical-chat/67907-civic-si-trans-problems-petition.html
I love my Civic but yes, I took a $2,500 hit for the transmission that may of changed my mind when buying the car in the first place. 290k later - I'm OK.

I've tried multiple trans fluids - I don't feel any magic difference. My new ACT flywheel seems to help. Downshifts like a dream but 2nd gear lockout is still a nightmare. I'm going to replace the shift cable bushings and try a short shifter next to help the shifting feel.
This.

Update:
My mechanic bled the clutch fluid and replaced. He assures me everything is working fine. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet. I'll update once I do.
That's another good idea!

I had gears 3 + 4 replaced already because they failed :sadbanana:

But ever since dude did the swap.. Car does not shift into gears well. At the same time he replaced the clutch with an Exedy Stage 2 clutch. I love it!

He is a mechanic at a local Acura dealer.

But car doesn't shift very good anymore.. I can't get anywhere near my redline (most times) and it is just notchy when I'm tryna be a cool guy and vtec sometimes :pinkcorncry:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Easiest thing would to have someone, or yourself, check the clutch pedal adjustment. If it's not set properly, you will get issues like your describing. Did you have the CMC replaced?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yep. You got it. Have someone check your adjustment between the pedal and the CMC at the floorboard. That would be my first step.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I first noticed my clutch pedal was not rebounding as quickly and forcefully as usual then within 2-3 days I started having shifting problems. Also the clutch was engaging while the clutch pedal was only an inch off the floor. It was notchy going into any gear at any time. I am babying the clutch until the new one gets here. 3rd gear has at times been notchy but I never had any problems with any of the other gears. My car just passed 110,xxx miles. I had the pedal adjusted as a bandaid now it engages about 1.5-2 inches off the floor.

·
Registered
16,395 Posts
Mines is bad again now too.. I can't get into gears at high rpm anymore :pinkcorncry:

And I already did the CMC-adjust DIY trick :pat:

I wonder if my clutch is starting to slip or not.. Because it seems like after I change gear and I gas it some, it hesitates a tiny bit.. Maybe it's my imagination because I think my Harley is doing it too :rotfl:

I'm not sure what a slipping clutch feels like exactly...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had similar problems with my 07 si not going into any gears, took it to dealership they told me my clutch was burnt. Sooo I ordered an aftermarket exedy stage 1 clutch and lightweight flywheel with new release bearing and t/o bearing. Took the parts to Honda dealership they installed them and gave me a call saying my car would still not go into gear...... wellll they then said my CMC was leaking internally which is what I had thought the problem was all along. I got the hybrid racing 8th gen CMC upgrade kit(EM1 cmc) and stainless steel clutch lines. I also got stainless steel slave cylinder lines and installed those parts myself andddd my car would stilll not go into any gears!! I was real frustrated at this point and then I stumbled upon my clutch pedal assembly inside my car when I was replacing my cmc I noticed the assembly attaching to the firewall on the inside of the car was cracked?! I pushed in on my clutch pedal while looking up at the pedal assembly bracket and I could see the bracket just bending back not giving full pressure to the CMC... long story short this clutch assembly bracket was under my 100k powertrain warranty and honda fixed that and voila..problem fixed. I feel like the only problem all along was that clutch pedal assembly being cracked that they didnt even know about the whole time and I diagnosed the problem myself!... pretty pissed Honda told me I had to get 1400$ worth of parts and labor done...
What do you think about the Exedy clutch & flywheel combo?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm having similar issues after my first pass at the track last weekend. Thinking for sure is clutch but after reading this thread I see I have to check a couple of other things. For me I have to really force in the gears. Sometimes can't even get it in first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im having the EXACT same issues...Although mine gets so bad to the point i have 0 gears and no reverse. After pumping the clutch 20 times and turning the car on and off a few times it seems to " release " and then allows me to put it into gear. I have no grinds or noices coming from my clutch, i have 173,000 KM on my car and i think the clutch is ready to be replaced...my question is if it was my clutch wouldnt it slip, grind etc..instead of not letting me put it into gear. ??? Im starting to think i may have the same issue...i was ready to order a CMC EM1, Slave and Exedy clutch today to see if that is the case...My mechanic told me it may be my transmission and thats why the gear seems to be stuck inside...ANY HELP would be appreciated...im a young apprentice and im looking for some good advice. Thanks guys,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im having the EXACT same issues...Although mine gets so bad to the point i have 0 gears and no reverse. After pumping the clutch 20 times and turning the car on and off a few times it seems to " release " and then allows me to put it into gear. I have no grinds or noices coming from my clutch, i have 173,000 KM on my car and i think the clutch is ready to be replaced...my question is if it was my clutch wouldnt it slip, grind etc..instead of not letting me put it into gear. ??? Im starting to think i may have the same issue...i was ready to order a CMC EM1, Slave and Exedy clutch today to see if that is the case...My mechanic told me it may be my transmission and thats why the gear seems to be stuck inside...ANY HELP would be appreciated...im a young apprentice and im looking for some good advice. Thanks guys,

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow. It's quite disconcerting when we have to rely on our own troubleshooting skills to truly resolve issues like this. Kudos to you. I've had this car since '07. The transmission has always been temperamental. But, for the most part, it's fun to drive and been very reliable over the years. I dread stories surrounding this transmission. I wonder when mine will be next. After 115k, I've been lucky so far. I'm still waiting to drive my car to see if the fluid change made a difference with my shifting woes. Stay tuned.
Yes but how many cars have over 100k miles that can Vtec like the Si. All cars need maintenance but a lot of ppl just get a new one when things start to break down. You have to figure that putting $1000 a year into a car for maintenance is better than several thousand for something you don't own. But that's just my two cents.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys new to this forum stuff sorry for the bad spelling , been trying to do my own research myself but hopeing to narrow it down more i have a 2008 honda civic coupe 1.8 standard lx i think has about 100k now iv owned it a year always been a great car bought at 75k always changed oil at 5k.
The problem was driving on highway 5th gear and it started reving not moveing and didnt want to shift or clutch to work, i finally slamed it into 4th was driving but if i accelerated it would slip back into high RPMs. When slowing down with the clutch and break but it would not engage the break after the car shut off got towed home and checked the fluied the the CMC and was full, any ideas really trying to get an idea so i get less screwed and charged less thank you.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey guys new to this forum stuff sorry for the bad spelling , been trying to do my own research myself but hopeing to narrow it down more i have a 2008 honda civic coupe 1.8 standard lx i think has about 100k now iv owned it a year always been a great car bought at 75k always changed oil at 5k.
The problem was driving on highway 5th gear and it started reving not moveing and didnt want to shift or clutch to work, i finally slamed it into 4th was driving but if i accelerated it would slip back into high RPMs. When slowing down with the clutch and break but it would not engage the break after the car shut off got towed home and checked the fluied the the CMC and was full, any ideas really trying to get an idea so i get less screwed and charged less thank you.

Sounds like the clutch has given up. The RPMs rising and the car not accelerating tells me the clutch has worn so much it is now slipping. But I don't see how that would cause issues getting it into gear unless the clutch is dragging for some reason.

Honestly unless you can do it yourself its gonna be pretty costly. A typical clutch swap is about $1300.

The first thing I would look at is the slave cylinder movement. Have someone pump the clutch pedal and make sure that the slave is moving the lever.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts