8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi there everyone, my current delimma is that i CANT SHIFT INTO ANY GEAR, like when i do the car goes fine the clutch is good no slip. i had to force it(not to the point it break) in but all hard to enter. im not sure if it my CMC or something. i been looking for the past 2 days for answer, or any related problem found a few but yet im stump. i see the EM1 CMC but would it fit for a 07 civic coupe ex. if anyone can supple me with any advice gladly appreicate it!!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I know worn out shift fork, using non - Honda transmission fluid and a miss aligned clutch can cause lockout. And if your wot high RPM it could be your motor mounts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know worn out shift fork, using non - Honda transmission fluid and a miss aligned clutch can cause lockout. And if your wot high RPM it could be your motor mounts.
well when the car is off it goes into gear and i can start and just take off in 1st gear but then switching out wont go. my clutch does have a some play into it(bout good 3/4 in).

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm having a similar issue, but I can get my car into gear if I take my time and pump the clutch. I'm thinking it's a hydraulic issue and am trying to do some research on whether replacing the CMC or clutch pedal adjustment will help.

2007 Si 115,000 miles.

·
Registered
10,219 Posts
I'm having a similar issue, but I can get my car into gear if I take my time and pump the clutch. I'm thinking it's a hydraulic issue and am trying to do some research on whether replacing the CMC or clutch pedal adjustment will help.

2007 Si 115,000 miles.
im changing out my transmission fluid today. ill have my wife push in the clutch while i check out the cmc. i hope i can find out this damn problem. ill update when i get my diagnostics complete..... here we go :beer:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sweet. Let us know the results.

I still haven't done too much troubleshooting. It's really cold. Excuses, excuses...

I have done a tranny fluid change with Amsoil(3rd time over car life) about 6 months ago.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Vibration damper spring? Where in the system is that located? It sounds like it's deep. Like replacing the clutch deep. Can you tell some more?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Open your flywheel inspection cover on the bottom of the trans - it is black and is held on by two 10 or 12 mm bolts. See if anything good falls out or if you can see any odd stuff up in there. Quick and easy check.
The vibration damper springs are the springs in the clutch disk itself.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Here is a thread from another forum where a Civic 8th Gen member had postsed the 1st half of the transmission removal. The first pic is the inspection plate. This is the infammous sub-frame removal link that everyone keeps looking for. Since then there are now videos and such on you tube.

Help on a clutch install on a 07 Si. ASAP - Honda-Tech

2nd link is the DIY transmission removal for more pics. I assume with his catastrophic clutch meltdown he had parts or meatl viasable at the bottom of the flywheel.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/diy-honda-civic-transmission/33818-diy-dropping-transmission-installing-clutch.html

If you haven't had your transmission rebuilt for the 3rd gear synchro failures then search for those symptoms before replacing the clutch or you may be breaking out even more $$.

Goodluck - MC

·
Registered
293 Posts
I guess I've been pretty lucky regarding 3rd gear. Shifting in this car had always been temperamental. Kind of like a video game that rewards you when done right. I say that with a chuckle.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i always hated the feel of our cars shifting. cables suck so much and feel super mushy. i had a hard time getting in and out of gears for a while and then 7k miles later my tranny blows shifting into 2nd gear at 10 miles per hr... like while i'm pulling out of my friends driveway... its still mind boggling to me how easy my tranny blew considering i don't drive my car hard. i think i just got a bad tranny from the factory, or i shouldn't let other people drive my car...

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
My main point was that sinrigi should make sure what the issue is before going after the trans or clutch. I would suggest that he changes the transmission fluid and seeing if any plastic shift fork, brass synchro parts, or other oddities pour out.
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mechanical-problems-technical-chat/67907-civic-si-trans-problems-petition.html
I love my Civic but yes, I took a $2,500 hit for the transmission that may of changed my mind when buying the car in the first place. 290k later - I'm OK.

I've tried multiple trans fluids - I don't feel any magic difference. My new ACT flywheel seems to help. Downshifts like a dream but 2nd gear lockout is still a nightmae. I'm going to replace the shift cable bushings and try a short shifter next to help the shifting feel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine was locking me out of first gear after i would "shift" (grind) from 1st to 2nd at WOT. Turns out my 2nd gear synchronizer was missing a spring. The guy that owned it before me apparently had transmission work done to it and they messed it up pretty bad.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Update:
My mechanic bled the clutch fluid and replaced. He assures me everything is working fine. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet. I'll update once I do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had similar problems with my 07 si not going into any gears, took it to dealership they told me my clutch was burnt. Sooo I ordered an aftermarket exedy stage 1 clutch and lightweight flywheel with new release bearing and t/o bearing. Took the parts to Honda dealership they installed them and gave me a call saying my car would still not go into gear...... wellll they then said my CMC was leaking internally which is what I had thought the problem was all along. I got the hybrid racing 8th gen CMC upgrade kit(EM1 cmc) and stainless steel clutch lines. I also got stainless steel slave cylinder lines and installed those parts myself andddd my car would stilll not go into any gears!! I was real frustrated at this point and then I stumbled upon my clutch pedal assembly inside my car when I was replacing my cmc I noticed the assembly attaching to the firewall on the inside of the car was cracked?! I pushed in on my clutch pedal while looking up at the pedal assembly bracket and I could see the bracket just bending back not giving full pressure to the CMC... long story short this clutch assembly bracket was under my 100k powertrain warranty and honda fixed that and voila..problem fixed. I feel like the only problem all along was that clutch pedal assembly being cracked that they didnt even know about the whole time and I diagnosed the problem myself!... pretty pissed Honda told me I had to get 1400$ worth of parts and labor done...

1 - 20 of 95 Posts