8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my check engine light went on about a week ago, so i took it into honda to see what the problem was. It ended up being my intake and they wouldnt do anything for me unless i put the stock air box in. I got the intake 2 years ago and this is the first time the cell went off. So last night i took out my CAI to make sure all the clamps we ok and there were no leaks. Well when i did so i found two problems. One there was a crack on the intake tube toward the bottom but the weld. Two, on my intake manifold there is a peice that looks like it screws in and has some kind of spring load in it. Pic below. What is this and is it something that i can just screw off and replace?

·
Banned
710 Posts
wow, thats in your weld? That makes it pretty much worse, thats probably the cause of it. And I have no idea what that spring is, maybe your intake came with it. What I would do is put the stock intake in, see if theres any problems. If there isent, that means that something is wrong with ur CAI. Just keep it stock intake for a few days while you put a little money on the side to buy yourself a new intake.

Do whatever you want, good luck to you on that, i hope everything turns out ok, that was just what I would do..........

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no that is a total diff part from the intake this is a stock part on the car it is under the IM cover. There is suppose to be a part for a hose that broke off thats what the arrow is for, Sorry i didnt explain to well in the first post.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
when doing a k-swap they eliminate this piece...go to your local Napa (any true jobber will do) and buy a plug for it...may fix cel...and no that part is not needed...The vaccuum leak is probably throwing the cel

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when doing a k-swap they eliminate this piece...go to your local Napa (any true jobber will do) and buy a plug for it...may fix cel...and no that part is not needed...The vaccuum leak is probably throwing the cel
so that part that broke on my Intake manifold isnt needed? are you sure?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Actually, it reroutes warm air from the intake manifold back into the intake while the car is cold. It helps it warm up faster. The bottom of the valve is bathed in coolant. As the coolant heats up, the wax in the valve expands closing it off.

It doesn't actually move coolant, just air.

I broke the one on my car putting my intake in . . . they are $60 from collegehillshonda.

Or you can just plug the thing . . . The engine will let you know if there is an air leak(as seen from your CEL).

oh rbs . . . sorry, didn't mean to correct you . . . you are 100% right.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so as long as i have the top line and plug off the side one it will be alrite my car wll just take longer to warm up? what do i do with the line to the intake?just plug up the spot on the intake? need to know by tonight if possible i need to fix it asap. thanks

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Air assist valve

When the engine is cold, the intake air bypass control thermal valve sends air to the injector.
The amount of air is regulated by engine coolant temperature. Once the engine is hot, the intake air bypass control thermal valve closes, stopping air to the injector."

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Air assist valve

When the engine is cold, the intake air bypass control thermal valve sends air to the injector.
The amount of air is regulated by engine coolant temperature. Once the engine is hot, the intake air bypass control thermal valve closes, stopping air to the injector."
this guy knows too many things :p:thumb:

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Just busted this in the same way as pictured above. Stupid me was thinking to myself that "that must be a metal valve, it can't possibly be plasti...SNAP!". Guess I'm going to have to find a work around until I can get a new one. Let me know if anyone has come up with a creative fix for this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.